Cumberland River

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
Kenworth

Cumberland River

Post by Kenworth » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:42 pm

40+ Degress , Hotter than hell today , took the mrs for a spin down the GOR , to Lorne stopped off at Cumberland river to cool off with a swim on the little beach there.
F me schools of whiting 50m off the beach shore and less , when the wave came in , all you could see was all the cunz swimming east in a school.
I ran back to get my rod and some pipis which I brought with me just in case ;)
It was low tide , I had to wade out chest deep . A - too keep cool , and B - to avoid all the swimmers.
Bagged 5 legal and over 10 undersize in a hour.
Much to the amusement of all the people swimming around me.
Then had enough , way too hot .
I Hate being bipolar , Its Great !

Breamster

Re: Cumberland River

Post by Breamster » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:45 pm

You're absolutely crazy.

cantevencatchacold
Has liked: 30 times

Post by cantevencatchacold » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:24 pm

Well done. Good to be always prepared.

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:06 pm

Nice little spot there on great ocean road to relax.

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:47 pm

That's funny stuff well done on the catch
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Kenworth

Post by Kenworth » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:43 pm

poodoo wrote:Nice little spot there on great ocean road to relax.
Yes it is , I normally book a cabin at the Holiday Park for a couple of nights , just after Easter time , each year , works out way cheaper than peak holiday rates and a lot less people around.

No fire bans , so you can get a good campfire cranking.

Its a very nice place , I highly recommend it.

Have always caught a good bag of fish at nightime there. :dinner:

But one thing I will say , yesterday was one out of the box, crystal clear water , flat sea with minimal swell and no undercurrents at the time. But this can change extemely quickly as with all these spots along the GOR , are a hazard for swimmers at any time , no matter how careful you are , you can get caught out in a rip anytime , and there is no one to help you if you do. Lots of rocks , troughs and sandbars around are ideal for strong undercurrents even close to shore.

Thats my safety tip for the day :thumbsup:

So id say if your after some great land based whiting fishing get down that way and check it out.Its a great day out !

I live in Mitcham , only takes 2 1/4 hours drive to get to Lorne , and another 15 mins heading west on the GOR.

Ive still got 3 weeks holiday left , so will be going back next week at dawn , to have a serious crack at them this time :woohoo:
I Hate being bipolar , Its Great !

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:10 pm

Kenworth wrote:
poodoo wrote:Nice little spot there on great ocean road to relax.
Yes it is , I normally book a cabin at the Holiday Park for a couple of nights , just after Easter time , each year , works out way cheaper than peak holiday rates and a lot less people around.

No fire bans , so you can get a good campfire cranking.

Its a very nice place , I highly recommend it.

Have always caught a good bag of fish at nightime there. :dinner:

But one thing I will say , yesterday was one out of the box, crystal clear water , flat sea with minimal swell and no undercurrents at the time. But this can change extemely quickly as with all these spots along the GOR , are a hazard for swimmers at any time , no matter how careful you are , you can get caught out in a rip anytime , and there is no one to help you if you do. Lots of rocks , troughs and sandbars around are ideal for strong undercurrents even close to shore.

Thats my safety tip for the day :thumbsup:

So id say if your after some great land based whiting fishing get down that way and check it out.Its a great day out !

I live in Mitcham , only takes 2 1/4 hours drive to get to Lorne , and another 15 mins heading west on the GOR.

Ive still got 3 weeks holiday left , so will be going back next week at dawn , to have a serious crack at them this time :woohoo:
We were down there earlier this year, only thing I caught was some wrasse off the rocks and some small trout under the bridge. Tried spinning on the beach for salmon and lost a couple of lures.....Plenty of people on the beach at the time.

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”