About time..

King George Whiting, KGW, Ting
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

About time..

Post by purple5ive » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:32 am

So.
i finally break the Whiting Curse. well not so much a curse but more so a self implied limitation of my own doing.

over the weekend i decided to hit up the squid down PPB south. we did ok and was just starting to work out where they were and nek minute over 15 odd boats progressively decided to drop anchor right in our drift paths.
we soon worked out that these boats were all catching whiting.
the Age old saying, cant beat em then join em was what came to my mind.
for some reason my cousin had 2 whiting rigs in his bag, we found our own small patch and deployed the motorguide to hold and started to fish with the fresh squid candles we had just caught.
my first hookup was a double hookup, in the excitment of not knowing wether to lift them in or use the net, one of them fell off right at the boat :(

anyway, this is when the fun starts, fish are everywhere, but i feel somehting isnt right, sure enough we are sitting wayy too close to some other boats, something which wasnt the case a few minutes ago.
turns out the motorguide isnt holding in the raging current. :dn:

so now for the first time of owning my boat i have to work out how to use the anchor.
i cant drive, position the boat and throw the anchor out myself, so i decided to let my cousin handle the boat while i do the anchor duties as it was the easiest way to handle the situation, 20 seconds into it i knew it wasnt as the boat nearly hit another boat by drifting away, cosuin wasnt paying attention to what was happening even after i told him to make sure we dont move away....
we swap roles, and finally after **** farting around deploy the anchor.
by the time we were settled and back into the fishing, the whiting had moved away.
ah well, atleast we got 5 of them in like 10 minutes we could fish, biggest went 41cm.
FB_IMG_1614032969092.jpg
FB_IMG_1614032971835.jpg

thats it for now.
cheers

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Re: About time..

Post by crumpet_avenger » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:11 am

Might be an idea to practise your anchoring away from other boats.

I bet the blokes you almost hit were real happy with a couple of newbs almost drifting into them. I would of been fuming.

Glad you got some fish. Maybe get the anchoring sorted before you attempt it again though.

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:32 am

Great catch mate, that kraken is a beauty. Good size whiting too, enjoy the feed

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:49 am

That most left whiting looks solid!
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:35 am

crumpet_avenger wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:11 am

I bet the blokes you almost hit were real happy with a couple of newbs almost drifting into them. I would of been fuming.

Glad you got some fish. Maybe get the anchoring sorted before you attempt it again though.
hahahaha, im glad it wasnt you in the other boat then, the guys were pretty good about it.
ive got it under control now, we practiced about 4 to 5 times to anchor properly without the motorguide.
will give it more practice next time im out to make sure it doesnt happen again.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:36 am

Kenle wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:32 am
Great catch mate, that kraken is a beauty. Good size whiting too, enjoy the feed
thanks mate, yeah good size squid that one was.

Sebb wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:49 am
That most left whiting looks solid!
yep, thats the 41cm

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:30 pm

Well done on the whiting maybe the slow drift helped.
purple5ive wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:35 am
crumpet_avenger wrote:

hahahaha, im glad it wasnt you in the other boat then, the guys were pretty good about it.
ive got it under control now, we practiced about 4 to 5 times to anchor properly without the motorguide.
will give it more practice next time im out to make sure it doesnt happen again.
Somewhat agree with Crumpet I would be pissed if it looked like there was risk of someone damaging my boat for one reason or another. But in your case fortunately no harm done.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:26 pm

rb85 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:30 pm
purple5ive wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:

Somewhat agree with Crumpet I would be pissed if it looked like there was risk of someone damaging my boat for one reason or another. But in your case fortunately no harm done.
Nah there was no danger to anyone or anyones vessel. Enough room between vessels. But I've never had anyone anchor this close to me before, but I've heard thats common during whiting fishing, so didn't think anything of it.

Could have easily been them drifting into us. But I cannot confirm that.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:37 pm

Nice session Steve!
That 41 Cm whiting is a beauty.
Cheers 👍🏻

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:17 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:26 pm
rb85 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:30 pm
purple5ive wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:

Nah there was no danger to anyone or anyones vessel. Enough room between vessels. But I've never had anyone anchor this close to me before, but I've heard thats common during whiting fishing, so didn't think anything of it.

Could have easily been them drifting into us. But I cannot confirm that.
Guess it depends where you fish being close is frowned upon east of the peninsula
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Return to “Whiting Fishing”