Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Re: KGW best frozen bait to use ?

Post by Kenle » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:57 am

bowl wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:27 am
Kenle wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:57 am
Mate, I've found a box of them frozen California squid from the servo to be realy good. Great value and catches whiting and snapper no problem, you gotta cut them into strip's though. I love the frozen pippies too but find them anoying to open and they come off too easy if I cast hard. Frozen prawns are great but you don't get many bait up from them and they come off easy to bottom pickers too.
With frozen pipis, at the ramp I will put them in bucket of sea water , by the time I get to fishing spot pipis r unfrozen n easy to open.
I will generally open 20 pipis n put the meat on bait board n schell's in water for burly.
Landbased, I often buy the frozen stuff from servo and it goes straight into my esky with a bag of ice. Upon arriving most often then not the bait would still be frozen solid. It doesn't take much to defrost them but who can wait around for that? We all want our bait hooked and ready in the water asap lol. I just find the frozen box of squid more versatile, just from my experience anyways. Each has a preference but both seem to catch KGW

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:17 am

Kenle wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:57 am
bowl wrote:
Kenle wrote:
Mate, I've found a box of them frozen California squid from the servo to be realy good. Great value and catches whiting and snapper no problem, you gotta cut them into strip's though. I love the frozen pippies too but find them anoying to open and they come off too easy if I cast hard. Frozen prawns are great but you don't get many bait up from them and they come off easy to bottom pickers too.
With frozen pipis, at the ramp I will put them in bucket of sea water , by the time I get to fishing spot pipis r unfrozen n easy to open.
I will generally open 20 pipis n put the meat on bait board n schell's in water for burly.
Landbased, I often buy the frozen stuff from servo and it goes straight into my esky with a bag of ice. Upon arriving most often then not the bait would still be frozen solid. It doesn't take much to defrost them but who can wait around for that? We all want our bait hooked and ready in the water asap lol. I just find the frozen box of squid more versatile, just from my experience anyways. Each has a preference but both seem to catch KGW
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:18 am

bowl wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:17 am
Kenle wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:57 am
bowl wrote:
Kenle wrote:
Probably don't put pipis in esky with ice.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Grasshopper67
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Grasshopper67 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:59 am

Thanks for all your advice ! Of course when I can see fresh mussels for the taking I’ll scrape them off rocks or pylons wharves etc...but not always easy to do so have to rely on good all frozen bait at times....

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:47 pm

Grasshopper67 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:59 am
Thanks for all your advice ! Of course when I can see fresh mussels for the taking I’ll scrape them off rocks or pylons wharves etc...but not always easy to do so have to rely on good all frozen bait at times....
You aren't allowed to do this in Port Phillip Bay FYI

Just catch a bag of squid and freeze them seperately
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:58 pm

Grasshopper67 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:59 am
Like 4litres said, it's not allowed. Fisheries will give you a ticket for doing that.

Frozen pipis and beach worm work for me. Usually when I get squid, I keep some for bait in the freezer.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Don Fisher
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Don Fisher » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:59 pm

Frozen pippies all day.

Grasshopper67
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Grasshopper67 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:19 pm

Noted and thanks for advice on the laws re mussels etc...I’m a bit out of date on this stuff...fresh caught squid and pippies it is....

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:07 am

Get the fisheries app on your phone and spend a bit of time reading through it. The rules around collecting shellfish from the PPB intertidal zone have been in place for as long as I’ve been fishing.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Whiting Fishing”