Full Moon

King George Whiting, KGW, Ting
Fishstix
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Full Moon

Post by Fishstix » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:45 am

Crikey! Well that's completely different to what I was thinking!

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:28 am

Fishstix wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:45 am
Crikey! Well that's completely different to what I was thinking!
Glad you asked, now you know Dennis' famous rig!
If I got that right, that is, lol.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:18 pm

Back in the day when I lived and fished in Sth Aust I often fished for Snapper on a full moon and had some very catches. I remember on a mild November night (back in 1972) night when fishing Barker's Inlet behind Torrens Island when my mate & I caught 15 snapper ranging from 9 lb up to 26 lb. They were all caught in three meters of water too and were full of blue swimmer crabs.. In all my years of Saltwater fishing I never really bothered all that much about full moons or dodge tides when fishing for Snapper or Mulloway. Fishing for smaller species such as KG Whiting etc that's when the tides meant something, two hours before and after the turn was always the best time to fish then.
cheers
Adrian
Last edited by meppstas on Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:07 pm

Sebb wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:23 am
Fishstix wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:02 am
When you're referring to the the length of the leader is this what you mean?
thumbnail_Image.jpg
Recently I got one on a running sinker with 5/0 hook and whole squid head. Lol.
Which is why when fishing for Snapper or Gummies in WP in particular its wise to throw out a Whiting setup. Usually what you'd associate with Cod/Barra, a 6-10kg baitcast rod with a sensitive tip and a small overhead like an Abu 5600/6500, something that's capable of bringing up a fish aswell as 6+Oz of sinker plus handle the inevitable bigger bycatch without being to heavy in the hand. People would be surprised the amount of very good size Whiting you get in 20+m of water that they've previously fobbed off as **** fish that won't hook up with bigger hooks...

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:55 pm

Never really like full moon for anything but shark fishing.

Fished last Friday out of flinders. Cruised around for a couple hours in the 4-7m range for a solitary squid and a cuttle. Water quality was pretty good. Conditions weren't perfect but they were good enough. I'm a firm believer that the only reason we didn't catch more was due to the full moon. Never done well for squid on the full.

Headed up to somers for a gummy bash for the remainder of the tide and was bitten off 4 times (80lb fluro/mono) with a couple being gillers and the others potentially desirable.

Got a 7kg gummy for our troubles.

Happy to get 5 shark bites plus a bit of bycatch in a 4 hour sesh. Would have been nice to get them all boatside..

Return to “Whiting Fishing”