Whiting Rig setup ?

King George Whiting, KGW, Ting
Alwaysloud

Whiting Rig setup ?

Post by Alwaysloud » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:55 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at setting up a whiting rig, I wan't to know how long should my Paternoster Rig leader be?, what length cm spacing should I have between the Sinker and First and Second hook ?

I'll be mainly fishing of piers and the rocks.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Re: Whiting Rig setup ?

Post by davek » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:33 pm

whiting.PNG
whiting.PNG (127.26 KiB) Viewed 2076 times
I don't fish for whiting but it didn't take me long to google this, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:40 pm

Alwaysloud wrote:Hi Guys,

I'm looking at setting up a whiting rig, I wan't to know how long should my Paternoster Rig leader be?, what length cm spacing should I have between the Sinker and First and Second hook ?

there are different ways to tie your rig but I run a loop at the bottom that the sinkers go on ( and I use a loop so I can change sinker weights )

about 35 cm up from the bottom goes the leader and bottom hook and about another 35 - 40 cm goes the top leader and hook
by the way the fish aren't hat fussy if these dimentions are out
the leaders only need to be short 75 - 125 mm is quite enough
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:58 pm

I normally use the running sinker rig when fishing for whiting with 1'0 circle hooks. But have used a paternoster ones I tie myself with snapper snatcher style 1'o circle hooks in red blue and day glow and various other colours, I like to keep the bottom dropper close to the bottom between 4 and 6 cm the other dropper approx 15 cm above this as long as the two droppers can not hook each other it will be ok I normally tie a clip on the bottom because I like to use sinkers with a swivel and can change to suit the current. I usually fish off the boat and find this works for me.

Alwaysloud

Post by Alwaysloud » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:33 pm

Do loop droppers work well ? ATM I've just been using a 3-way swivel

nhillboy

Post by nhillboy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:47 pm

The rigs I use landbased for whiting are similar to Cheaterparts. About 90cm to 1 metre in length, from top loop to top hook to second hook and sinker 30cm apart. The top loop in the rig clips onto a snap swivel at the end of my main line and another snap at bottom to quickly change sinker size. Also allows me to change rig if damaged... :cheers:

Alwaysloud

Post by Alwaysloud » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:38 pm

nhillboy wrote:

The rigs I use landbased for whiting are similar to Cheaterparts. About 90cm to 1 metre in length, from top loop to top hook to second hook and sinker 30cm apart. The top loop in the rig clips onto a snap swivel at the end of my main line and another snap at bottom to quickly change sinker size. Also allows me to change rig if damaged... :cheers:
I like those two variation change sinker and remove rig when needed. For the droppers do you use loop droppers or a 3way swivel ?

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:44 pm

One continuos piece of line no need for the extra knots snap at the bottom and a swivel at the top. Quick change also allows rigs to be tied at home not on the boat

nhillboy

Post by nhillboy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:45 am

Alwaysloud wrote:
nhillboy wrote:

I like those two variation change sinker and remove rig when needed. For the droppers do you use loop droppers or a 3way swivel ?
No 3 way swivels, 1 lenth of line which you make two droppers from, double knotted. Finished rig is 90cm to 1 metre long so to start with line lenth starts at about 1.4 metres.

Mucca

Post by Mucca » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:01 pm

Here is a rig I use to catch over 100 whiting over the years. Running rig - main line > ball sinker > swivel > 50-75cm fluorocarbon leader > red bead > long shank hook. Why a running rig? Whiting are very shy. If they feel weight, they will spit the bait out. If they see your line, they will run = fluorocarbon leaders absorb light making it invisible to the fish. This rig keeps the bait on the sand bed and since whitings are bottom feeders, its more likely they will go after your bait. For bait I use squid as it is the best for saltwater fishing.

Return to “Whiting Fishing”