wedge to kirks point ramp

King George Whiting, KGW, Ting
bowl
Has liked: 292 times

wedge to kirks point ramp

Post by bowl » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:57 pm

hey,
I have been fishing this area lately for whiting, i know where the reef is off kirks point ramp , and now in parts its quite shallow around the wedge .0.8 the sounder read the other day.
I have been fishing geelong side of wedge out from the first white land marker in 2 to 3 meters of water about a 1 k out.Have caught a couple of whiting.
I would like to explore incloser but have not got gps with maps , so just wondering if there are any other real shallow parts between the wedge n kirks point ramp.
Where is pt wilson spit or what is it :-o :-o :sun:
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: wedge to kirks point ramp

Post by Nude up » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:31 pm

Hi bowl pt wilson spit is on the geelong side of the ammunition pier. I was at the queenscliff boat ramp monday about 1300 washing the boat off got talking to a guy who had a bag of whiting that were as thick as my forearm they were rippers caught between the coles channel marker and the st lenoards boat ramp.

bowl

Post by bowl » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:46 pm

Yeah i cant drive boat over to st leonards(4.i) , and 1 hr15 by car, cant wait to get a bigger boat ( 4.8 or bigger)to launch werribee n drive the boat over.

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:47 pm

Hi Bowl, there is no other obsticles between the spit and kirks point, why don't you just launch from Kirks point when you want to fish at Kirks otherwise it's a hell of a long way by boat. I could try and explain to you how to fish the Spit untill I am blue in the face but you still won't find the spots that I fish there. Forget your sounder or GPS and invest in a good pair of Polarised sunglasses, look for dark patches of weed beds clustered fairly close together and then anchor up on them and cast to the sandy areas in amoungst them.
I have been fishing for whiting off Werribee south for over 30 years and I can tell you that unless you really know what to look for and how to catch them you will struggle for ever.
I'm not trying to blow my own trumpet but I can tell you that many times we have returned to the ramp with our bag of whiting and most other boats have come back empty handed.
Maybe I should come out with you one day and show you how we do it, it's probably the only way
Cheers

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:55 pm

Fishsniper wrote:Hi Bowl, there is no other obsticles between the spit and kirks point, why don't you just launch from Kirks point when you want to fish at Kirks otherwise it's a hell of a long way by boat. I could try and explain to you how to fish the Spit untill I am blue in the face but you still won't find the spots that I fish there. Forget your sounder or GPS and invest in a good pair of Polarised sunglasses, look for dark patches of weed beds clustered fairly close together and then anchor up on them and cast to the sandy areas in amoungst them.
I have been fishing for whiting off Werribee south for over 30 years and I can tell you that unless you really know what to look for and how to catch them you will struggle for ever.
I'm not trying to blow my own trumpet but I can tell you that many times we have returned to the ramp with our bag of whiting and most other boats have come back empty handed.
Maybe I should come out with you one day and show you how we do it, it's probably the only way

heers
no that's makes perfect sense and a very nice offer there fishsniper.its not blowing your own trumpet at all

you can talk all day but there is nothing like showing

bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

bowl

Post by bowl » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:05 pm

yeah that would be great to get a few tips n ect fishsniper,,
i need to get some subscription sunglasses.
Launching kirks, i have launched there solo a few times n its a p**** when the wind blows and ding my boat up before.
Avalon ramp i want to launch but im a bit sus on that reef to the left.Presuming that its close to wilson spit.
I just have not spent enough time fishing PPB , i grew fishing western port.
cheers

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:22 pm

Oh ok, yeah kirks can be a pain to launch and retrieve and Avalon is probably a bit far away but you don't have to worry about the rocks on the left just head towards the first green stick and then shoot over to the left or right but it has been absolutely raped by the netters and not good ATM, next time you head out from Werribee try and concentrate on about 3 meters of water or less that way you should be able to see the dark patches of broken ground and tye whiting will be there. You don't have to go all the way to the spit you will find them right throughout the area, the most important thing is to try and find that patchy ground, just one more little tip, if you are catching those baby pinkies you are probably fishing in the wrong spot.
Hope all that helps
Cheers

bowl

Post by bowl » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:30 pm

yeah ill give it couple more trips to other side of wedge and if i do no good ,
I would love to take up ur offer on a trip out in my boat.
Hey what type boat u got...
ta for advice

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:54 pm

I sold my boat last year but my mate lives right on the beach at Werribee sth and he has a Haines hunter 5.5 mtr with a 90hp Merc and we have been fishing the area for many many years, just keep trying to find the patchy ground and will soon work out what to look for, as for wedge spit it is shaped like a V so you basicly go around it and then once you pass the point you start to head back to shore on a 45 degree angle in about 3 meters of water untill you find the dark patches

anth2013

Post by anth2013 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:23 pm

Fishsniper wrote:Hi Bowl, there is no other obsticles between the spit and kirks point, why don't you just launch from Kirks point when you want to fish at Kirks otherwise it's a hell of a long way by boat. I could try and explain to you how to fish the Spit untill I am blue in the face but you still won't find the spots that I fish there. Forget your sounder or GPS and invest in a good pair of Polarised sunglasses, look for dark patches of weed beds clustered fairly close together and then anchor up on them and cast to the sandy areas in amoungst them.
Cheers
Sorry fishsniper u cant say forget gps whats happen when travelling in stil dark u need this to track shallow and deep that shown on the map gps is all about locations and not to find fish,gps is about safety .I would never launch from kirk point not safe if water turn rough,no pier to tied ur boat,rocks surrounding on shore i prefer to travel further than get caught in that dreadful kirk point ramp.

Return to “Whiting Fishing”