Stuff that happens while fishing

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
FishSamFish

Re: Stuff that happens while fishing

Post by FishSamFish » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:03 pm

raco09 wrote:
FishSamFish wrote:
Fish-cador wrote:now you are a "blue ringed angler". Too dangerous to handle. :-))
Don't even go there, still sore. and just as I had to leave, because my mate was struggling to breathe, sounded some snapper smack on the bottom in 16 meters. dangit.
I don't think I wanna fish with you bro. Id be too scared. Bahahaha :haha2:
hey hey, It was all fine until someone behind me was bringing up their small intestine!
and in my defense, I took all the rags off the boat, so the only thing I had to grab the fish with was a plastic bag. I got it round the sucker and he went mental, shredding the bag and my hand. memo to self, get some more rags or a towle.
on that side note, I had a 250g salmon fillet on a 4/0 circle, bait was untouched. Fresh salmon too. Pretty shattered.

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:40 pm

FishSamFish wrote:
raco09 wrote:
FishSamFish wrote:
Fish-cador wrote:now you are a "blue ringed angler". Too dangerous to handle. :-))
Don't even go there, still sore. and just as I had to leave, because my mate was struggling to breathe, sounded some snapper smack on the bottom in 16 meters. dangit.
hey hey, It was all fine until someone behind me was bringing up their small intestine!
and in my defense, I took all the rags off the boat, so the only thing I had to grab the fish with was a plastic bag. I got it round the sucker and he went mental, shredding the bag and my hand. memo to self, get some more rags or a towle.
on that side note, I had a 250g salmon fillet on a 4/0 circle, bait was untouched. Fresh salmon too. Pretty shattered.
Yeah, keep plenty of towels or rags in the boat. Will always come in handy. Don't know why you didn't get on to more fish as your mate had fresh burley going. Haha . Better luck next time. Cheers. :thumbsup:
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:03 pm

FishSamFish, don't feel left out, there's a few Jonah's out there who can relate to your classic experiences, I am one of em.

I could also fill a page full of em, some silly & funny, and others deaf defying experiences, but I take pity on the readers.

An angling buddy of mine witnessed a few of my silly antics and has always had a good laugh at my expense, like the time when I plonked my butt on the ground beside the Goulburn at Shep, the hollowed out earth giving way beneath my butt, the result being a horrific scream as the dorsal fin spine of a dried out carp carcass embedding itself through my jeans deeply into my butt cheek.
Yes, I was a victim of those careless fisherman who throw carp up the bank to die, and a victim of the flooded river which covered the carcass with mud creating a booby trap for my virgin butt cheek. :oops: :lol:

Carp revenge No.2 was when I threw a 7 pounder up the bank, it's barbed dorsal fin spine somehow snagged my hand in full flight, ripping a huge gash from the base of my thumb, ouch again!

But what I will never be let down on was really, really, really silly. I was fishing with cotton and bait for yabbies in a Tatura channel from a little channel bridge, and was carefully retrieving a huge finicky yabby towards my net, and leant over a wee bit to far, when the yabby caught me off balance, by giving an extra strong jerk, and yep, I got pulled in by a yabby. I am never going to hear the end of that one. :oops: :lol:

Same with the murray cod that I hooked in the Dookie channel on 2 pound line whilst fishing for reddies. It gave me a merry chase, nowhere for it to hide, I ran up and down the channel, and when it began to tire I had to wade in past a waste high weed bed to try and net it. It got tricky trying to net it, as my home made yabby net wasn't wide enough to fit the cod in, and so I was fooling around trying one handed to comfort lift him, which was unsuccessful, as he was still green, and dove in and out of my legs. Would have been a record if I had landed it, but sadly the tiny almost garfish size hook finally pulled free and he gained his freedom. :wall: :(

As for my mate, once again he was on his back in fits of laughter at my expense, not even trying to help me out. Revenge is sweet.

By the way, his cousin caught the cod the following week on proper gear, he said it was 17 pounds. So much for being a mate, he should have kept it quiet until the next trip. :evil:

Tight Lines

Rob

FishSamFish

Post by FishSamFish » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:09 pm

raco09 wrote:
FishSamFish wrote:
raco09 wrote:
FishSamFish wrote:
Yeah, keep plenty of towels or rags in the boat. Will always come in handy. Don't know why you didn't get on to more fish as your mate had fresh burley going. Haha . Better luck next time. Cheers. :thumbsup:
I'm pretty shattered, I sounded some snapper over rough ground, mixed up my berley, 2kg of old pillies, some tuna oil and bread, throwing that over, had fresh caught bait down. I guess I'll be lucky next time. Least we got a few flatties, around the 30-34 cm mark. and yes, next time, bring towels. I just don't leave them on the boat, for last time, it smelt like a sauna filled with pillies :down:
Scarecrow wrote:FishSamFish, don't feel left out, there's a few Jonah's out there who can relate to your classic experiences, I am one of em...
Sat, on a carp, LOL. I'll try not to do that one. I just DON'T want to do this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tspeZrDw6Jc
(and yes, he could have de barbed the hook and used pliers)

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:43 pm

Fishing at dusk at a local pier, tried to belly lift what I though was a small skate.
It wasn`t a small skate.
The barb of the small stingray went in between my thumb and forefinger.
90 minutes of alternating hot and cold pain ensued.
I`m still proud of the fact that despite being hit, I unhooked it and released it..
What a complete tit..

kitchenwench

Post by kitchenwench » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:54 pm

:whoh: My god!! I just read through all these and have gone white!!! I had no idea fishing could be so dangerous!!

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:54 am

kitchenwench wrote::whoh: My god!! I just read through all these and have gone white!!! I had no idea fishing could be so dangerous!!
You have obviously never watched 'deadliest catch'

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 389 times

Post by fishingvic » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:08 am

thread delivers! :thumbsup:
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

Oldmanriver

Post by Oldmanriver » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:23 am

kitchenwench wrote::whoh: My god!! I just read through all these and have gone white!!! I had no idea fishing could be so dangerous!!
Thats not dangerous, thats totally wild fun... Very funny everyone, the read was the best ever :super: :lol: :super: :lol: :super: :lol:
Cheers oldmanriver (John)

The best things in life you just have to BAIT for ;) :)
My missus ran away with my best fishing buddy... Geez I miss him!

banjo

Post by banjo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:56 pm

Pulled a complete fishing outfit out of the Patterson River complete with double paternoster rig and sinker. Kmart Jarvis Walker crap, but my son used it to catch a 1.3 Kg bream at the Tambo launching ramp. Still got the outfit and have caught everything from trout to snapper, all on the original twelve pound mono. Never gets washed, gets left behind the garage and still working after ten years.

Return to “General”