New to fishing...have a question?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: New to fishing...have a question?

Post by DougieK » Thu May 26, 2016 7:06 pm

10 to 20lb line. 20lb leader. 600mm of leader. Knot never touches the guides. Shiny metals up to 50g. Lazers, halco twister, gillies baitfish best off the shelf.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

BigBad64

Post by BigBad64 » Thu May 26, 2016 7:18 pm

4liters wrote:I use 16lb YGK Super jigman braid on my outfit, with 26lb fluoro leader. I join them with an FG knot. Any old metal slugs will do, I use 40g Halco Outcasts because they're cheap and you can pick them up at Kmart.
I don't do as much surf spinning as some other people here but I think what I've got is pretty similar to what everyone else is running.
DougieK wrote:10 to 20lb line. 20lb leader. 600mm of leader. Knot never touches the guides. Shiny metals up to 50g. Lazers, halco twister, gillies baitfish best off the shelf.
Thanks for the replies.
Can you also tell me do you tie the lure to the leader direct, or do you use a swivel-clip or a clip?

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Thu May 26, 2016 8:46 pm

BigBad64 wrote:
4liters wrote:I use 16lb YGK Super jigman braid on my outfit, with 26lb fluoro leader. I join them with an FG knot. Any old metal slugs will do, I use 40g Halco Outcasts because they're cheap and you can pick them up at Kmart.
I don't do as much surf spinning as some other people here but I think what I've got is pretty similar to what everyone else is running.
DougieK wrote:10 to 20lb line. 20lb leader. 600mm of leader. Knot never touches the guides. Shiny metals up to 50g. Lazers, halco twister, gillies baitfish best off the shelf.
Thanks for the replies.
Can you also tell me do you tie the lure to the leader direct, or do you use a swivel-clip or a clip?
Egi snap, with a decent quality barrel swivel on the smaller end

hazzabbear

Post by hazzabbear » Thu May 26, 2016 11:10 pm

Hey all just joined the forum great to be on board with the rest of yas
Has anyone taken a fine mesh dip net to catch shrimp near the tide gates of patterson river and succeeded in catching shrimp?

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Fri May 27, 2016 10:35 am

hazzabbear wrote:Hey all just joined the forum great to be on board with the rest of yas
Has anyone taken a fine mesh dip net to catch shrimp near the tide gates of patterson river and succeeded in catching shrimp?
Guys used to do this 20 years ago. No idea if it's still effective.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Fri May 27, 2016 10:39 am

CarlG wrote:
BigBad64 wrote:
Thanks for the replies.
Egi snap, with a decent quality barrel swivel on the smaller end

Yup.

When the salmon are on it pretty much doesn't matter. I've been catching them with 35lb braid tied straight to a surface popper, but it's probably a good idea to run braid > FG/Slim beauty/Improved Albright/ Double uni knot to 600mm of leader, bearing swivel with a clip, lure, single hooks if possible.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Fri May 27, 2016 10:41 am

hazzabbear wrote:Hey all just joined the forum great to be on board with the rest of yas
I have seen guys do this. They run the net along the sides of the floating pontoons near the ramps

hazzabbear

Post by hazzabbear » Fri May 27, 2016 6:22 pm

Awsome i though as much a mate reckons its dinomite on the bream

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Fri May 27, 2016 7:02 pm

Without checking the regs, I think there is something in there about being too close to an estuary mouth? I cant remember and might be completely wrong.

Edit: that might be to do with spearing

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:41 am

Scraglor wrote:
Edit: that might be to do with spearing
Deffs one about spearing, might be netting as well but i'm not sure.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Return to “General”