So who had a clue...

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: So who had a clue...

Post by mazman » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:27 pm

All due respect bug, but bringing up what other people have said in different threads to degrade them is a low act and picking apart everything that is said on the forum including throw away comments is far from necessary and makes it very hard to have intelligent conversation surrounding an issue such as this one.

The earliest anyone I know was aware of the proposal was on friday morning after consultation had closed, and this includes the vast majority of regular users of the river in this section and the peak governing body for recreational fishing in victoria VRfish, so it can be comfortably assumed that no effort was made to involve members from the angling community as part of the consultation period and it is possible that an effort was made to exclude but this is still a bit speculative.

The issue here is that the proposed changes have a significant impact on the fishing community and little impact on other river users despite the fact that the purpose of the changes was to mitigate safety issues that weren't being caused by those fishing the river from watercraft. Combined with the lack of consultation with the community to air these concerns.

Hopefully, action has happened fast enough through the correct channels to get this issue looked at and a new solution to the safety issues developed or an amendment to the proposal that allows for highly maneuverable (ie. kayaks boats with electric motors) vessels within these zones to allow fishing from watercraft here.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

mazman

Post by mazman » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:34 pm

greggo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:15 pm
Mattblack wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:03 pm
Unfortunately the body of water in mention is not big enough for both.
Dare I say it, but I'd bet a few thoughtless boaties anchoring up in stupid places instigated the changes to begin with.
That's actually a long way from the truth. There's plenty of room for everyone to use the river and there is no congestion; the safety issue is the rowers hitting other river users. You only need to spend a Saturday morning on the river to see them in action...going flat-out and backwards!

All the fishos that kayak or boat the river, know to stay tight against the bridge structures to minimise the chance of being hit. I'd say 4 out of 5 who've fished there have been hit or had a near miss from a straying rower, even while taking every precaution to avoid an incident. Most incidents occur when they come from behind, and you dont see or hear them until it's too late.

So to avoid theses incidents, they are prohibiting a vessel (us) from stopping at a bridge to fish (where the fish are)...sure that will reduce incidents because we wont be fishing on the river any more. This was done after a supposed consultation with all sport, commercial and recreational river users, with the major fishing bodies never being consulted! Hopefully VRFish can get on top of it.
My understanding of the changes is that it was to stop the rowers using bridges as turning points which would stop them from turning a blind corner around a bridge, backwards, and having a collision with a water ferry or another rower and that people fishing the river were given little thought in creating the regulations and are inadvertently getting screwed out of fishing there for changes targeted at other users and being implemented as a blanket ban.

Hopefully, this is the case as it means there shouldn't be any opposition to reasonable changes that allow fishing at bridges on the river under the new regulations but only time will tell

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:27 pm

Bug. Remind me why you post in a Vic forum? Is it because you’ve been run out of all the SA ones? The only person who has attempted to derail this thread is yourself with 1500 words of garbage.

With any luck the consultation period is reopened and we can get some consideration for kayak and boat based anglers in these waterways. As mentioned by others all unsafe acts I’ve seen on that waterway have been by rowers and their supporting crews in tinnys speeding.

I stand by my “load of ****” comment. Some of my best fishing sessions have been in the proposed banned areas...

As for my going for 5 mins of fame? You’re off your rocker mate. When this issue came to light a lot of people that fish that area spoke about the issue and what we should do about it as a collective. From this group VR fish were notified which drove their post last Friday. Jaala and others were notified and as I said in my first post there’ll be a push to get the consultation reopened at an absolute minimum from here we can put forth our case as genuine users of that area.

You’re essentially suggesting bending over and copping it Cos these rowers come from rich and powerful families... Thanks for your thoughts. I’ll continue to ignore what you’ve got to say..

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:33 pm

Back on topic gentlemen.

If "safety" is the concern, you would think that the "authorities" would have monitored and/or policed these "safety" concerns up until now. Does anybody know of anyone who has been spoken to, or warned by any "authority" because of where they were boating/fishing on the Yarra being a safety concern? Because the approach of banning boating seems to be a bit extreme, in lieu of a "workable solution" for all to still have access to the Yarra.

Almost has that feel of they just don't want Boats on the Yarra for some other reason. And by limiting Boatie's access to the consultation process, Boaties can't put their convincing arguments forward highlighting that it is the Rowers who are at fault of these so called safety issues.

Being a CBD-Suburban location, there is the English romance associated with Rowing and it adds to the pleasant ambience of the Yarra. Where as a scenery of Boating Fisherman isn't as appealing. Seems that the authorities might be using "safety concerns" as a vehicle to eliminate Fishing Boats on the Yarra. Where as rowing on the Yarra has such a pleasant broad public appeal.

The other aspect isn't what is fact, that maybe the Boaties aren't doing anything wrong, and as what has been mentioned, that the Rowers have been the cause of the safety concerns. BUT public perception (which isn't that great of Fishos and Boaties in some circles) is that the "Boaties" have been "in the way" and the public perception is that the nice Rowers have been obstructed.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:21 am

The new or amended rules will not be formally enacted until after the 2019/20 boating season so river users will have time to become familiar with the changes,”

Now due to the proposed ban coming in place soon. Everyone who fishes the area are going to get as much time in the water as possible, no doubt causing a bit of a congestion on the water...

So, I wonder if they are secretly watching/taping the suspected areas to use as ammo against the opposition...
The more problems created the more ammo for them to.use...

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:53 am

purple5ive wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:21 am
The new or amended rules will not be formally enacted until after the 2019/20 boating season so river users will have time to become familiar with the changes,”

Now due to the proposed ban coming in place soon. Everyone who fishes the area are going to get as much time in the water as possible, no doubt causing a bit of a congestion on the water...

So, I wonder if they are secretly watching/taping the suspected areas to use as ammo against the opposition...
The more problems created the more ammo for them to.use...
This time of the year most of the boat traffic will be from commercial and tourist boats as the main fishing season is in decline. And they have no need to stop anywhere other than the usual berths and jetties.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:32 am

Great news guys. The consultation period has been reopened. Now we need people who fish the area (or don’t like the idea of being locked out) to submit an email.

Suggestions for an email: Briefly talk about
A) What fishing the Yarra and its bridges mean to you and how long you’ve been doing it
B) How often you fish there and how you fish there (i.e. how you get out of the way/ are aware of current laws)
C) if you believe you cause a safety issue or if one even exists
D) Would many people be upset if fishing here was banned?

Email to waterways@transportsafety.vic.gov.au
- Cc jaala.pulford@parliament.vic.gov.au
Attachments
11FD88AE-69C1-428D-95F2-FB4EAD035664.jpeg

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:37 am

ducky wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:32 am
Great news guys. The consultation period has been reopened. Now we need people who fish the area (or don’t like the idea of being locked out) to submit an email.

A) What fishing the Yarra and its bridges mean to you and how long you’ve been doing it
B) How often you fish there and how you fish there (i.e. how you get out of the way/ are aware of current laws)
Great news, even an apology for not consulting us!

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:55 am

greggo wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:37 am
ducky wrote:

Great news, even an apology for not consulting us!
The whole thing smells of deceit, they missed asking the biggest recreational stake holders on the water ? I think not.
There should be an inquiry over the handling of this "consultation" ......
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

mazman

Post by mazman » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:15 am

ducky wrote:

Email to waterways@transportsafety.vic.gov.au
Beat me to it ducky, great news indeed.

Something I'd like to stress as well is that any emails or other form of communication are positive in nature and don't just blame others for the issues. I'm not the first to say this but I feel the point needs reiterated now as submissions are open again and this is a direct line of communication.

Return to “General”