Corona virus part 2

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Re: Corona virus part 2

Post by VooDoo » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:58 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:08 pm
Very disappointed is an understatement from me...
Boony and red would have had a field day with this..

I also seen another post with a whole pallet of baby formula at the docks ready to depart for Hong Kong.
In the midst of this pandemic people are still out to.make money
I really don't know what they want all the toilet paper for tbh.....

Screenshot_20200318-205912_Facebook.jpg
Purp .. the answer to your question is greed - the root of all evil - all of us have it but at least most of us have the decency to distinguish what's morally right and wrong and stop us in our track. These people will utilise the vulnerable people to help them access to these shortage products and then they will on-sell them for massive profits. Unfortunately the morality and decency have been destroyed by those whom taken over China more than 1/2 century ago so this new generation growing up only knows success by one measurement - how much you are worth - sad but a true reality.

This morning I heard over the wireless that there are bus load of city folks driving to country towns and emptied the supermarket shelves - as much as i would like this to be "fake news" as D. Trump put it but deep down I believe this to be the case and to make matter worse, I will not be surprised if the bus load of city folks are of migrant appearance - again, sad but true.

And before boony and red or anyone jumping on this and crucified me - I have decided to write this up because I have witnessed these scenarios myself and I am of a migrant demographic as these people.

As with Purpe and Smokin_reels, I wasn't born here but forever grateful to this country that had opened its warm generous arm 37 years ago and welcome our family here. But as more and more people of all race and colour migrate here, there will always be a few rotten apples in the mix but somehow the wider community only hears about these few rotten ones and not rest that have more than helped build this country over the years - again, sad but true reality.

This panic reaction or FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) will not go away anytime soon IMHO. I have refrained from joining the circus act but it is hard when you actually needing something and when you go there the shelves are emptied. If you have some supplies stock at home, please keep an eye for the elderly that you may know in your social group - if you know they need some supplies etc - please help them out. Remember we will all grow old eventually. Heard a story of an elderly lady whom really needed some toilet paper for her husband who have chemo treatment but the shelves were emptied - the image has torn inside me ever since.

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:04 pm

My suggestion is have a listen to ABC drive a number of people in rural areas sharing what they are experiencing the last few days.
https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/v ... ide-drive/

Have a listen to yesterday and todays to get a perspective from country people.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:13 pm

bowl wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:43 pm
Going to be some desperate people about needing food handouts n ect.
The casual workers having no work will be very high.
Think my part time contract runs out in about 5 months .

Tough times ahead....
Agree with you here Bowl - there will be tough time ahead indeed.

So far we have only withnessed the medical impact from this virus - the full social and economic impacts are yet to be seen.

Take for example the AFL - Richmond operating expenses is about $28mil as i've heard and the income to support his expenditure is from home gates and corporate packages on top of AFL distribution,memberships, sponsorships etc - if the matches are played at emptied stadiums then there will be a massive shortfall of the income to cover this. Of course, the flow on effects of emptied stadiums are the employments associated with match day - Stevo have attested to this already.

We are small business operators and certainly have seen the drastic difference in the consumer confidence in the last week or so - certainly the supermarkets, grocery, butchers etc are flat out meeting the demand but the rest of the business community, everyone is feeling the down turn at present. Think we will ride the wave out but there will be certainly a lot of small business will have to make a hard decision of closed up or keep loosing monies in the coming months.

Hope everyone take stock of their situation and ride this storm out. Sombre mood but that's what lies ahead.

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:21 pm

My sister (who suffers from celiac disease) now struggles to find food for herself because greedy shoppers have decided that if they can't get regular groceries they'll just start buying foods for people with dietary requirements and leave none left for people who can't actually eat regular food. It's pretty sad.
Adversity arises and we all lose any sort of sense or compassion for anyone else.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:23 pm

BIt of positive news in the midst if what's happening.
These guys were also helping out in bairnsdale and surrounds when the Bush fires were going on..
My hats off to them...

In case anyone needs their help.
Screenshot_20200318-221256_Facebook.jpg
If you guys know of any other organisations doing similar then post it up so everyone knows and can help people in need ..

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:31 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:08 pm
I really don't know what they want all the toilet paper for tbh.....
This will go down as one of the most baffling moments in Australian history. Why did people all of a sudden in the course of less than 24hrs strip the shelves of toilet paper?

Right up there with Harold Holt going for a swim.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:52 pm

Italy: 60 million people. 22% of which over the age of 65. 31,500 cases, 2200 deaths. Country in complete lockdown for over a week. Worst healthcare system by a lot way in Europe west of the Balkans.....

Fear is the greatest mover of people

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:29 pm

The hording off food and bulk buying needs to stop.
Kyabram has two bus load off tourists turn up yesterday and load up on everything...now we no longer have any meat/frozen vegies/toothpaste /pasta or toilet paper in town.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:44 pm

To stop this hoarding i think they need to have security at the entrance checking ID's. If you aren't from the area, you shouldn't be allowed in to buy stuff.

Seeing people act like this is a bit scary and it's only going to get worse. I don't see a problem with people stocking up a bit but the hoarding and selling for profit is not sitting well with me.

I will be self isolating over the next couple weeks so you'll catch me down the river enjoying the isolation.

Cheers, Anth

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:12 am

Corona virus will pass in time just like previous virus'. What worries me is when other virus' come to be known in the future and the panic it will spread over the community. Every time we have a virus on the other side of the world people are going to start panic buying, markets will start dipping because of the scares left by the corona virus catastrophe.

Return to “General”