DIY Face Masks - COVID-19

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Bugatti

DIY Face Masks - COVID-19

Post by Bugatti » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:55 am

Hi Guys & Girls

I thought with the unprecedented times ahead of all of us and for what seems to be an extended period of time and with the shortage of face masks, I thought I'd post a DIY Face Mask.

Now to make it clear, no face mask gives the wearer 100% protection. These face masks are based (replicas) on/of Surgical Masks. As my Doctor said (apart from me getting uglier, out of shape, give up the smokes and the JD) he did say that any extra line of defence is a good thing, even if it gives you ?? % better odds than not wearing one at all.

M9c.jpg
M9c.jpg (18.31 KiB) Viewed 2110 times

So , , , , to start (oh no, the commas are back)

You shall require:

* A piece of breathable fine material (the finer the better and water proof/resistant is even better). Even resourcing Vacuum Cleaner Bags and using the material from that works. Play around with the measurements of the material and elastic as you prefer and personal preference.
Google material as you see fit to find the best possible material that you are happy to use.
* A length of elastic. 2 X 25cm
* Bendable wire, garden twist wire works well.
* Wire cutters/pliers
* Scissors
* Glue Gun. If you have access to a sewing machine AND someone that can use it, even better.

M1.JPG

Place the material longest length upwards. Place a piece of the bendable wire (with ends turned over so to avoid sharp points) at the top, about 1cm down from the top.

M2.JPG

Hem (fold over) the top and glue (or sew) down. This conceals the bendable wire and adds strength to the cut edge. Do this (hem) with the bottom edge as well but without the wire.
The bendable wire allows you to mould the top part of the mask around the nose, to seal off any gaps.

M3.JPG

Working your way down the material, fold horizontal pleats and glue in place by only gluing on the edge of the pleat NOT the horizontal length of the pleat. A note: Glue both sides of the pleat by turning the mask over and gluing the underside of the pleat. If sewing, the sewing does this automatically.

M4.JPG

M5.JPG

To make the mask look more professional, I iron the finished pleats. Place a paper towel under the material and another paper towel on top of the material. This with stop the hot glue sticking to the iron.

M6.JPG

Glue (or cross stitch) the ends of the elastic as shown, approx 1 cm in from the end. Repeat this for the other side of the mask.

M7.JPG

Hem (fold) and glue down the ends, as shown.

M8.JPG

And the Face Mask is now complete. I didn't "model" the mask as my ugly nogg'n is the last thing you people need to see (as my Doctor mentioned about me getting uglier)

M9.JPG

You can make them if you wish, or not at all. I have made a fair few and given them to family and close friends.

A note:

They say that these hard times are similar to that of what the population went through during WW I, WW II and The Spanish Flu (1918-19).
Our Fore-fathers and Fore-mothers did us proud :ch: , , , , let's do them justice and make them proud of us :tu:

I wish you all the best and wish you all to stay safe through these trying and testing times.

Cheers, Bugatti

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: DIY Face Masks - COVID-19

Post by Mattblack » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:43 am

what are you doing about toilet paper....or should I ask this in Bay 13?

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:19 am

Mr. Bug is back!

Not a bad idea. Scarce of masks and other stuff like toilet roll at the moment.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:26 am

Welcome back mate.

just a FYI, you need the N95 type mask to be full protected from it, and even then if you have a beard/facial hair etc the protection is severely compromised..

one thing you can do that will be easier than making the mask is
go to the local tackle shop and buy the face buffs. or order them from ebay etc...
it can double as fishing neck warmers when this pandemic passes.

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Aimless » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:29 am

Luckily I had some N95 / P2 masks left from the bushfire smoke we got earlier in the year. Hard to get hold off but I managed to find a few in Adelaide over Christmas.

Main thing is not to touch your face / adjust the mask too much if you are touching stuff in busy areas like trains.

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:00 am

Good thread bug, and welcome back.
I touched on this in the other coronavirus thread before it was removed.
I'll preface this by saying wear a mask by all means. Much better than wearing nothing. All types of masks can catch aerosols carrying the virus and reduce the risk of infection, but:
Face masks are good if you are sick and don't want to spread it around to other people through respiratory droplets, (really important to follow safety equipment etiquette when handling masks, realise that these pretty much become petri dishes once you wear them for a while) unfortunately most of the masks regular joes can get ahold of just aren't an iron clad means of protection against infection for a whole number of reasons.
Don't think you're impervious if you get your hands on a N95 mask either, they're the best you can get, but have respiratory hole diameters of 300 nanometres. SARS-CoV-2 has a diameter of 50-200 nanometres, meaning it can still get in and get you sick. Like p5 said too if you have facial hair or put it on improperly this majorly compromises the mask.
Also, with laymen buying up all the N95 masks realise that this depletes the supply from clinicians who actually need them to help patients.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:39 am

I was gonna go with this..

The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:47 am

Welcome Back Bugsy .. Bug .. The Bug .. Mr Bug !!!!! :w:

Great DIY idea indeed :tu:

Now ... can you please keep making them and box them up in 25 per pack - i can be your sole distributor here in VIC

PS - Terms and conditions applied :)

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:46 am

Aimless wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:29 am
Luckily I had some N95 / P2 masks left from the bushfire smoke we got earlier in the year. Hard to get hold off but I managed to find a few in Adelaide over Christmas.

Main thing is not to touch your face / adjust the mask too much if you are touching stuff in busy areas like trains.
....I'm speechless

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:36 pm

Good to hear from you Car Man,was thinking you had self isolated from the Forum.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

Return to “General”