Looking at buying first boat..

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Re: Looking at buying first boat..

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:44 pm

Trumpeter wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:30 am
After owning several open boats and predominantly bait fishing PPB I changed to a cuddy and enjoy being able to stay warm and dry without having to dress like Scott of the Antarctic. There's also more rear deck space than the two CC's I had and better seating arrangement.
I have a Haines Hunter 460SLR, and as much as i would love to be getting around in a 445f or similar i just find something with a bit of protection is much more comfortable for me these days.

My ideal boat would be probably a V17L that has had an engine pod put on it and removed the back quarter seats and engine well so you can walk right up to the transom, you see a lot of these around at the moment. And i have always liked Barcrushers, the 490 or 530C would be nice one day. Although i am probably leaning more towards a Surtees Workmate these days as they have a couple of nice features that the 'crusher doesnt have.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Jacob Scott
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Jacob Scott » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:00 pm

bowl wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:55 am
Buy as big as you can afford 540 ish or something in that size.
What is ur budget btw
$10,000 to $20,000 or anything cheaper than 10,000

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:07 am

Assuming you are looking at the used market...

For less than $10k you would be able to pick up a nice 4.2 - 4.5m tinny fully decked out, either tiller steer or CC if you go right up to $10K. This might not get you offshore but it will get you out on the bay for minimal cost and on its day will be a fishing weapon. I have had boats for most of my adult life, but there was a time where i sold my boat and didnt fish for a long time. When i decided to get back into it i got myself a 4.2m tinny which got me back in the game. The only reason i got rid of it was because i got offered a bigger boat at a price i could not refuse and i wanted to be able to take more people out with me.

I would probably avoid most other boats at this price because you would have to get pretty lucky to find the full package at this price. Remember when you are buying a boat there are 4 main items you are buying. 1. the actual boat, 2. the engine, 3. the trailer and 4. the equipment it comes with. The first 3 of these are critical, they must be spot on or you are just opening yourself up for a lot of pain in the near future.

For $10 - $20k you will really open up a world of choices if you are happy to go with an older hull, which IMO is not an issue so long as it is in good condition.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Return to “General”