Corona Virus Part 3

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Corona Virus Part 3

Post by rb85 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:36 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:26 pm
Lakes entrance is an economic basket case now. I doubt there will be many businesses left after this year. We had 26 vacant shops before the fires and now this. I expect that many of the motels, caravan parks and most of the remaining small businesses will not survive this year.
Anyone who things this is all over in a few weeks is dreaming. All older people will need to be in lock down till a vaccine is developed. if not they risk death. If you look at the modelling produced by the gov. Best case is 12% of the population getting it, worst case 89%. 12% is 3 million. Over 60s have 20% chance of needing ICU and half of them will come out in a body bag.
Half of Lakes entrance residence are in that 60+ group. Once it gets here I can't imagine many will come out of there homes. Nearly all the shop owners are older people. I expect they will just walk away from their businesses and live on the pension.
My plan for the next years is stay home, still going to the supermarket at the moment but will start getting deliveries in the near future.if they let us go fishing I will. Worst thing is all out kids/grandkids live in Melb and hobart. so no visits for probably the rest of this year, maybe longer.
That’s the brutal reality and it sucks hopefully people like yourself can soon get out for a fish solo for your mental health if anything. Plenty of spots to get a few bream
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Stumpjumper
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Stumpjumper » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:53 pm

It's horseshit inconsistencies that are doing my head in. Just this morning, Lisa Neville health minister, announces that surfing is OK if you're local and maintain social distancing. How the f--k is this OK but going for a solo hunt or fish in your home range not? The ******** Andrews the other day with chief health officer by his side said it was OK for people to go to their holiday homes over Easter. How is that protecting nanna and pops in your seaside village.....but going fishing is going to kill them?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:08 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:26 pm
Lakes entrance is an economic basket case now. I doubt there will be many businesses left after this year. We had 26 vacant shops before the fires and now this. I expect that many of the motels, caravan parks and most of the remaining small businesses will not survive this year.
Anyone who things this is all over in a few weeks is dreaming. All older people will need to be in lock down till a vaccine is developed. if not they risk death. If you look at the modelling produced by the gov. Best case is 12% of the population getting it, worst case 89%. 12% is 3 million. Over 60s have 20% chance of needing ICU and half of them will come out in a body bag.
Half of Lakes entrance residence are in that 60+ group. Once it gets here I can't imagine many will come out of there homes. Nearly all the shop owners are older people. I expect they will just walk away from their businesses and live on the pension.
My plan for the next years is stay home, still going to the supermarket at the moment but will start getting deliveries in the near future.if they let us go fishing I will. Worst thing is all out kids/grandkids live in Melb and hobart. so no visits for probably the rest of this year, maybe longer.
It'll be similar economy-wide I think. Anyone who is expecting the fabled V shaped recovery is hopelessly optimistic. We're heading towards Great Depression levels of unemployment; the last recession took 10 years to fully recover from and that was fairly minor by comparison.

Tourism and education are probably going to be out of action for at least a year while international travel restrictions remain in place. Those restrictions will affect some farmers pretty badly too as they rely heavily on backpackers for labour.

Heaps of closed businesses will never re-open and that means a lot of jobs will never come back. Other businesses that do survive will have reduced demand for their services so there will be fewer employees required there. Some will come back and find that the same work can be done with less people which will further reduce the number of jobs.

We're living in interesting times, that's for sure.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

4liters

Post by 4liters » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:17 pm

Everyone is taking a big steaming mouthful of the **** sandwich we've been handed but bloody landlords think they're above all that. Anyone know how to build a guillotine?

Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:23 pm

4liters wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:17 pm
Everyone is taking a big steaming mouthful of the **** sandwich we've been handed but bloody landlords think they're above all that. Anyone know how to build a guillotine?

So what did the landlord do wrong apart from wanting to cover their mortgage repayments?
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:25 pm

They can get it frozen, also why doesn’t the landlord have 6 months of rent saved? Like any investment you need to be prepared for some risk

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:30 pm

4liters wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:25 pm
They can get it frozen, also why doesn’t the landlord have 6 months of rent saved? Like any investment you need to be prepared for some risk
The tenants broke up the loser on the lease has zero income no mention of coronavirus!!! What is your point?
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:37 pm

Here in Orbost, about 50 or so k's further east from Lakes Entrance, it's a ghost town.

Many shops were closed after the bushfires and now, even more are closed. I doubt many of them will ever re-open.

The caravan park is deserted, the motels are empty, the pubs are shut.

A large part of the population are in their senior years and are more vulnerable to infection. Our local hospital is seriously understaffed. We don't even have a permanent doctor.

As much as the town badly needs the tourist dollar we don't want the tourists here yet. Not until the Corona crisis is over. We want to live to see that day come.

:)

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:34 pm

Boonanza wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:30 pm
4liters wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:25 pm
The tenants broke up the loser on the lease has zero income no mention of coronavirus!!! What is your point?
I think the point is, where is the compassion with whats going on at the moment

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:49 pm

I really do worry for the country folk.
They depend on people visiting to keep the clock ticking.
Specially places like Gippsland etc.

Australians have been dealt with a triple whammy, all of which combined together will defenitely alter the course of the history of Australia
The fires, the floods after and now the virus.
There is only so much the country can take!

Return to “General”