Rust repairs

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Re: Rust repairs

Post by re-tyred » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:07 am

Looks like someone has put non stainless bolts in there. Also used screws instead of bolts with nuts. Get rid of them they will fail on you. If you can't undo them drill them out, get new bung inserts and start again with 316 stainless. Sikaflex around the new ones before screwing them into the hull. Tefgel the threads of the new stainless steel bolts.
This is a very important job. You don't want them to fail and they will be adding to other corrosion on the hull.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Pdiddy24
Has liked: 49 times

Post by Pdiddy24 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:25 am

Thanks re-tyred. I'll get onto this asap
That's a bit annoying to hear that it could've been avoided with proper attention to it originally. Appreciate the advice. Glad I checked rather than leave it a few more months
Hopefully it won't quicken up the worsening of any other areas of the hull as you say

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:51 am

re-tyred wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:07 am
Looks like someone has put non stainless bolts in there. Also used screws instead of bolts with nuts. Get rid of them they will fail on you. If you can't undo them drill them out, get new bung inserts and start again with 316 stainless. Sikaflex around the new ones before screwing them into the hull. Tefgel the threads of the new stainless steel bolts.
This is a very important job. You don't want them to fail and they will be adding to other corrosion on the hull.
It's the rivet inserts that are rusting, replacethe rivets with stainless nuts and bolts and coat the bolts in duralac Buy here

Make sure to clean the area where the rust is thoroughly to remove the stain and make sure there are no steel flakes etc there, as it will just rust again if there are.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:46 am

If you do use duralac wear gloves it is a chromate and is absorbed through your skin that said it is one of the best things to stop dissimilar metal corrosion widely used in the aviation industry. Ps I use it a lot on my boat an example the zinc trim tab anode and stainless bolt assemble with duralac remove in 5 years no issue.

The yellow is chromate the green does not contain chromate we use both at work but everyone uses gloves read the sds.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:15 am

Nude up wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:46 am
If you do use duralac wear gloves it is a chromate and is absorbed through your skin that said it is one of the best things to stop dissimilar metal corrosion widely used in the aviation industry. Ps I use it a lot on my boat an example the zinc trim tab anode and stainless bolt assemble with duralac remove in 5 years no issue.

The yellow is chromate the green does not contain chromate we use both at work but everyone uses gloves read the sds.
Caution Nudie I wouldn't cote the anodes with anything...anodes are suppose to decay... if they don't decay your engine is corroding internally, I'm in the outboard trade.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:25 am

hornet wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:15 am
Nude up wrote:

Caution Nudie I wouldn't cote the anodes with anything...anodes are suppose to decay... if they don't decay your engine is corroding internally, I'm in the outboard trade.
Only the thread of the bolt is coated it’s like tooth paste only the thread of the anode is in contact with the paste

Pdiddy24

Post by Pdiddy24 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:36 am

It's important that only bolts with nuts are used and not revits?

Pdiddy24

Post by Pdiddy24 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:38 am

Nude up wrote:

Thanks Nude Up!

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:49 am

Nude up wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:25 am
hornet wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:15 am
Nude up wrote:

Only the thread of the bolt is coated it’s like tooth paste only the thread of the anode is in contact with the paste
It is still a contact point for the anode to do it's job, nothing the anode comes in contact with should be coated that restricts transfer, that includes bolts that hold them in place,if anything some engine oil so they thread in smoothly but will not interfere with metal to metal contact.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Pdiddy24

Post by Pdiddy24 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:56 am

Probably going to get someone to look at this. Have been quoted under $500 to drill out everything, address any rusting that might be spreading, weld up area and holes and replace bungs.

Return to “General”