Rust repairs

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Rust repairs

Post by hornet » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:32 pm

ben475 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:31 pm
going by the photo's it looks like the centre of the rivets have rusted. aluminium rivets from Bunnings etc still have a steel centre and will rust out.
you need to track down some fully aluminium rivets made for use in marine applications. it will be easy to get the wrong ones.
i'm not exactly sure where you will find the ones you need but i'm told they exist.
As in the post above look up ... :tu:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:34 pm

Learning how to do this sort of repair is very important. It is part of owning a boat. You will save a fortune and understand where bit that fail are likely to be. You also may need to do some temporary fix out there. Once you know how to, then you start to know what basic bits you need to keep on hand on the boat and in your garage.

Bit of a quiz:
what do you do if you have a fail in this area at sea?
You would be amazed how many times we have been called out to attend a sinking boat that has water coming in around the transom.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:54 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:34 pm
Learning how to do this sort of repair is very important. It is part of owning a boat. You will save a fortune and understand where bit that fail are likely to be. You also may need to do some temporary fix out there. Once you know how to, then you start to know what basic bits you need to keep on hand on the boat and in your garage.

Bit of a quiz:
You would be amazed how many times we have been called out to attend a sinking boat that has water coming in around the transom.
keep driving the boat, head back to the ramp or somewhere where you can disembark safely. specially if you have a failed bung...

my boat has the bung mounted in reverse, so to install and uninstall the bungs it has to be done from the inside,
its handy when the boat has taken on water, i can reach down and remove the bung while just being on plane (nose up) and the water just flys out the Bung hole..

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:06 pm

That's it. we have towed boats with a leak in the transom and managed to get them going fast enough to self drain.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:26 pm

I used to be in the State Emergency Service back in NSW and our unit had 3 or 4 boats to operate in flood water. I started driving these when i was 16 and my favourite one was an old De Havilland 16 or so footer that leaked like a sieve. After a while water would start coming up over the floor from the bilge so we would drive with a bung out to drain it.

I learnt a lot of cool stuff driving those boats, such has having to do a prop change on the water or turning the boat in its own length.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Pdiddy24
Has liked: 49 times

Post by Pdiddy24 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:44 pm

All really valuable advice mentioned in this post. I'll have a look over and see how I go with it. Time is a bit of a constraint for me with these odd jobs but will see how it goes.

On the bungs orientation mentioned above - is this worth having them orientated to face internal of the boat? I have a one bilge set up at rear

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:37 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:54 pm
re-tyred wrote:

Bit of a quiz:
keep driving the boat, head back to the ramp or somewhere where you can disembark safely. specially if you have a failed bung...

Bugatti wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:57 pm

The most unnerving thing I have seen and been a part of, is a tinnie a mate had some years back. He fitted the bungplug from the inside, so he could take it out from the inside of the tinnie. To remove the bilge water that accumulated as fishing goes, he would, when motoring along, lean down and remove the bungplug :o_0: , the water would just run out of the tinnie due to the slope of the hull. Very unnerving to see but it worked a treat.

Cheers, Bugz

The best thing to have in any emergency is a calm head.

The more of this type of stuff that gets mentioned (and mentioned) it hopefully comes to mind easier when an emergency unexpectedly pops up.

One thing I've noticed, I have towed 4 Boats in my time and only one of those Captains knew to leave the motor down , , , , to act as a rudder to stabilise their Boat under tow, instead of "floating" about sideways.

Cheers, Bugs

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:54 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:37 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:54 pm
re-tyred wrote:

Bit of a quiz:

Bugatti wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:57 pm

The most unnerving thing I have seen and been a part of, is a tinnie a mate had some years back. He fitted the bungplug from the inside, so he could take it out from the inside of the tinnie. To remove the bilge water that accumulated as fishing goes, he would, when motoring along, lean down and remove the bungplug :o_0: , the water would just run out of the tinnie due to the slope of the hull. Very unnerving to see but it worked a treat.

Cheers, Bugz

The more of this type of stuff that gets mentioned (and mentioned) it hopefully comes to mind easier when an emergency unexpectedly pops up.

One thing I've noticed, I have towed 4 Boats in my time and only one of those Captains knew to leave the motor down , , , , to act as a rudder to stabilise their Boat under tow, instead of "floating" about sideways.

Cheers, Bugs
i can tell you right now, my cousin and dad who were with me in the boat were extremely nervous when i said what i was going to be doing, nobody said a word and the look on their faces were priceless!!
i told my cousin to drive the boat after setting the required slow speed bow up position and proceeded to crawl under the back casting deck of my boat
1 minute later everyone unclenched their gluteus maximus :rf:

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:59 pm

Cheers, Bugs
[/quote]

Yes always motor down and centred. Tow from the trailer hookup point to help keep the bow up.

Pdiddy24
Has liked: 49 times

Post by Pdiddy24 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:44 pm

Some stories there!

Ok - so after some inspiration and pep talk and dr google I've had a crack at removing the rivets and bung inserts. See photos below
There is no obvious rust through the hull if that makes sense and appears to be just on the surface areas around where the rivets were.
For the rust is it a case of grinding this back and then use the above mentioned techniques to treat it?

Also for one of the bungs there are only 3 holes drilled all the way through as the transom middle support brace obstructs this. I won't be able to get a bolt and nut through that hole - is there an easy solution for that section?
Attachments
Rivets drilled out.gif
Internal bung removed 2.gif
internal bung removed 1.gif
bungs removed.gif

Return to “General”