Covid-19 discussion

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Covid-19 discussion

Post by purple5ive » Sun May 10, 2020 8:23 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:57 pm
cobby wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:11 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:28 pm

They don't publish the suicide deaths or all the small businesses that have closed down, families that are going through a really hard time or how many people are close to losing their homes.
I'd almost bet suicide rates in the coming 24 months will be substantially higher in Victoria than any other state....
I can bet the jump in suicide rates just over these few months and the next 6 months will double that of the deaths of covid.. How cares about that though
I would like to think that the statistics for suicide rate for this year will also include the fires at the start of the year, so the numbers are already skewed and you can't solely blame covid as the only factor for the jump in numbers.
The effects are still being felt down the country towns where the visitors are still.not allowed even though the fires are long gone.

2020 is not going to be a year to remember for many I'd say!

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Sun May 10, 2020 8:26 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:12 pm
Was in the news earlier that there was a lot of people in the shopping centres, ignoring stay home thing. Being many shops are open, its kinda indirect invitation. And guess a lot of people have had enough already.
And that's exactly why Mr Andrews said no changes until the 11th of may, if he loosed the restrictions prior it would have been like Bourke street mall all over Melbourne cause everyone will take the mother's day opportunity to have an end of lockdown party as well.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sun May 10, 2020 8:27 pm

I only caught a snippet on the news, but think it was the VIC health Minister calling the handling of the Cedar meat factory "perfect" when questioned about a couple cases well before the outbreak. That's either an extremely poor choice of words, completely oblivious and ignorant, suss or all of the above.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun May 10, 2020 8:28 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:23 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
cobby wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:

They don't publish the suicide deaths or all the small businesses that have closed down, families that are going through a really hard time or how many people are close to losing their homes.
I'd almost bet suicide rates in the coming 24 months will be substantially higher in Victoria than any other state....
I can bet the jump in suicide rates just over these few months and the next 6 months will double that of the deaths of covid.. How cares about that though
I would like to think that the statistics for suicide rate for this year will also include the fires at the start of the year, so the numbers are already skewed and you can't solely blame covid as the only factor for the jump in numbers.
The effects are still being felt down the country towns where the visitors are still.not allowed even though the fires are long gone.

Did we ever find out how much of the money the larger charities took actually ended up in the hands of someone who needed it? I suspect less than 30%
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Sun May 10, 2020 8:31 pm

Geez, WTF is this forum now come too ?????
Just read thru this thread,

This thread has become a complete train wreck.....

:tu:

Col

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Sun May 10, 2020 8:34 pm

DougieK wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:28 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:
cobby wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:

Did we ever find out how much of the money the larger charities took actually ended up in the hands of someone who needed it? I suspect less than 30%
Not sure man, quite a lot of it is sitting in a fund for the next emergency is what I was told., what a load of crap!
I wonder if this covid would qualify for the purposes of releasing those funds to people who need it most.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sun May 10, 2020 8:35 pm

DougieK wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:28 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:
cobby wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:

I have never donated to the so called bigger charities and we normally give to the CWA that way we know 100% goes wherever it's needed.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun May 10, 2020 8:37 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:
cobby wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:

What's sad is the fires have already almost been forgotten.. and also it's heart breaking that the suicide rates from the fires will pale in comparison to what this virus and lock down has and will do in the coming year or more.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun May 10, 2020 8:38 pm

DougieK wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:14 pm
cobby wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:11 pm
Did you not bother to read my follow up comment to Steve?
Cedar donated $15k to the state labor party a few years back. It's more likely laziness and a lack of forethought from DHHS which wouldn't be a new thing from any government department
So not corruption then.
Still a small possibility depending on which health department minions were in charge of the contact tracing. Even if the possibility is as negligible as Victoria being in a similar position to the US if we had the same recreational restrictions as our interstate counterparts.....

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun May 10, 2020 8:38 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
cobby wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:

It probably has. I was talking a client who is a psychologist and she reckons calls have gone through the roof.

What people need to understand though is the cost in lives of not shutting the economy down would be a lot higher than the number of people who take their own lives as a result of shutting it down.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “General”