Battery Bank. Buyers Guide.

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Battery Bank. Buyers Guide.

Post by purple5ive » Mon May 25, 2020 4:24 pm

mazman wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:54 pm
I use Xiaomi 10,000mAh battery banks for filming etc. and just carry a few of them. Allows me to split them up and only take what I need for smaller trips and when I inevitably drown one isn't a huge hit dollars wise. They have been incredibly reliable and so far the only thing that's killed them has been the aforementioned drownings and even then I've had one pull through
Thanks man, i figured you would have used them at some stage or the other.
Xiaomi have some good stuff, specially in their camera department.
how long have you had yours?

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon May 25, 2020 5:00 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:24 pm
mazman wrote:
I use Xiaomi 10,000mAh battery banks for filming etc. and just carry a few of them. Allows me to split them up and only take what I need for smaller trips and when I inevitably drown one isn't a huge hit dollars wise. They have been incredibly reliable and so far the only thing that's killed them has been the aforementioned drownings and even then I've had one pull through
Over three years for a couple of them, the others are replacements from me accidentally dropping them in the water or going a bit deep wading
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon May 25, 2020 5:20 pm

For mainly on your boat wouldn’t you just run it off your leccy battery? The load isn’t that big.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon May 25, 2020 8:07 pm

mazman wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:00 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:24 pm
mazman wrote:
Over three years for a couple of them, the others are replacements from me accidentally dropping them in the water or going a bit deep wading
Thats a good outcome. will certainly look at the xiaomi ones.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon May 25, 2020 8:18 pm

ducky wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:20 pm
For mainly on your boat wouldn’t you just run it off your leccy battery? The load isn’t that big.
id rather have a separate battery for the gopro in case im wearing it on me.
for the Tablet up the front i could possibly tap into the Trolling motor battery, i already have the wires chased from when i installed the sounder for the future tablet up the front, but its wired to the main battery. i will just switch it over if i go down that route.

AE092
Has liked: 5 times

Post by AE092 » Tue May 26, 2020 1:09 pm

Working in the automotive industry has it's perks, I picked up a Powercon LV1981 and couldn't be happier. Note, there is a recall because some idiots left them on a a dash on a hot summers day and it apparently caught fire. The good thing about these packs is that they come in a handy carry bag with numerous plugs and can jumpstart most things. 12v socket is good for accessories and numerous friends are happy with theirs.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Tue May 26, 2020 4:15 pm

I have a Comsol 10,000 mAh. I got it from Officeworks and it does the job for me. On the boat i use my phone for music etc so i mostly use the powerbank to recharge my phone and i also take it camping. It didnt have the best of reviews, but this one has lasted me a couple of years both boating and camping with no issues yet.

I was originally going to get one of those units from ebay that claims huge ammounts of power, but after watching some Youtube videos of people pulling them appart to find much smaller batteries in them i decided not to risk it.

They dont seem to sell the same model i have anymore, but they have plenty of different ones with 10,000mAh for about $50. And some 20,000mAh for $75.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue May 26, 2020 4:31 pm

Cheers lads.
yeah im not trusting those ebay ones that look like a matchbox and claim 50,000 Mah..
i will keep you guys posted.

looking at the units i have
the tablet has a 4850Mah battery and the gopro has a 1200Mah
so thats 5Ah and 1.2Ah times that by about 5 hours of use per trip as a rough guess and its almost over 30Ah
will have to look at it in detail when i get some time.

Kestrel
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Kestrel » Wed May 27, 2020 6:44 pm

Hi guys
I have a Merc 175 HP V6 4 stroke motor and also a battery bank that has a starting current of 200A.
Will that be enough grunt to turn the motor over?
Cheers
Kestrel

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Aimless » Thu May 28, 2020 11:11 am

Hey mate, seconding the Xiaomi recommendation. I have had three or so (all still going strong - a couple for work and travelling, handed one to my wife). They have kept me steady for years now. Great build quality, size, connections, and charge.

I prefer the 10,000 ones as mentioned above - super portable and surprisingly long lasting. The 20,000 ones are supposed to be good and some have additional bonuses like acting as USB hubs for your computer (not all tho).

Return to “General”