Battery Bank. Buyers Guide.

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Battery Bank. Buyers Guide.

Post by purple5ive » Mon May 25, 2020 2:03 pm

Guys,
im looking to get a battery bank to operate some of my gopros and a tablet on the boat.
does anyone here have any idea of what to look for in these things?
or is it a case of buy the biggest AH you can afford and be done?

was looking into something like this.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/500000mAh-P ... 0677.m4598

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Re: Battery Bank. Buyers Guide.

Post by croe04 » Mon May 25, 2020 2:30 pm

Definitely don't get the one you linked because they're blatantly lying about the amp hourage, as are most of those cheap ebay ones

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon May 25, 2020 2:45 pm

I got a Powerall Jumpstarter and Powerbank from Repco when they were on sale (they have sales on these regularly). I keep it on the boat for emergencies but have used it to jumpstart a diesel motor...did it with ease.
There was an incident last year when a portable charger caught fire (https://www.nbnnews.com.au/2019/04/06/p ... -car-fire/), but I have no idea what brand (probably wise not to get a cheap one)

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon May 25, 2020 2:56 pm

the one in the link was just a reference, i havent started looking at anything yet.
just wondering if there was anything to be wary of prior to starting to look and eventually purchase one ASAP.
cheers

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon May 25, 2020 2:57 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:45 pm
I got a Powerall Jumpstarter and Powerbank from Repco when they were on sale (they have sales on these regularly). I keep it on the boat for emergencies but have used it to jumpstart a diesel motor...did it with ease.
There was an incident last year when a portable charger caught fire (https://www.nbnnews.com.au/2019/04/06/p ... -car-fire/), but I have no idea what brand (probably wise not to get a cheap one)
im looking at baby ones, for a phone, gopro, tablet etc. not high powered ones for jump starting boat batteries and stuff like that.

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Mon May 25, 2020 3:13 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:57 pm
Mattblack wrote:
im looking at baby ones, for a phone, gopro, tablet etc. not high powered ones for jump starting boat batteries and stuff like that.
Any big tech retailer like JB HiFi will carry powerbanks
To get a few charges out of an iPad and GoPros you'd probably be looking for around 20,000mAh

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon May 25, 2020 3:17 pm

I got one a year ago. The largest Ah one that Kmart had, and at a price I was very happy with.
Worked a treat and lasted a plenty.

Thing was, it degraded in a matter of months, wouldn't hold a lot of charge after a few months of charging/using/recharging.

Not sure if I over charged it and cooked it OR top-up charged it too many times without running it flat.

It was the first that I had bought, not knowing much about them, so would be reading this thread with excitement, as I'm hoping to learn and get a decent one.

Oh, by the way , , , , I have stopped using it as it gets suspiciously hot when charging.

Cheers Bugatti

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon May 25, 2020 3:54 pm

I use Xiaomi 10,000mAh battery banks for filming etc. and just carry a few of them. Allows me to split them up and only take what I need for smaller trips and when I inevitably drown one isn't a huge hit dollars wise. They have been incredibly reliable and so far the only thing that's killed them has been the aforementioned drownings and even then I've had one pull through
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon May 25, 2020 4:17 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
They do the lot (and are small & light)...comes with adapters for phones etc that run off a USB port (worth paying a few $'s extra for something that will start a motor if needed)

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon May 25, 2020 4:22 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:17 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
They do the lot (and are small & light)...comes with adapters for phones etc that run off a USB port (worth paying a few $'s extra for something that will start a motor if needed)
ok, i didnt know that, ill have a look.
i need it to fit in a certain area of the boat, so pending size this could be a good alternative.
cheers

Return to “General”