Too many rods

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Too many rods

Post by hornet » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:48 am

Yeah but your forgetting the anglers motto " He who has the most rods wins "! :bn:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

ronan
Has liked: 91 times

Post by ronan » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:47 pm

Every time I go to port melbourne I outfish the 15 baitos with four rods each with my lure rod, they never catch anything except midget pinkies. Honestly they just make it a bit of a pain for the public to walk up the pier. I’d like to see the rod limit get pushed down to two, using four rods probably doesn’t benefit you.
Last edited by ronan on Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronan
Has liked: 91 times

Post by ronan » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:48 pm

Flinders pier with squid spikes is a prime example

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:24 pm

ronan wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:48 pm
Flinders pier with squid spikes is a prime example
At San Remo there’s a local contingent of old men & women who will almost push people away at the sight of a squid personal space can be non existent.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:06 pm

I dont fish landbased any more, but it used to frustrate me when you would get to a nice spot only to see some other bloke has a spread out covering 10m+ of fishing space.

In an ideal world you wouldnt need a law. Common sense and looking after your mates (even the ones you havent met) would come in to play and the person would pack up a couple of rods to make room, but those are ideals of a country that has long been lost.
These days people look at me strange when i ask them if they want my left over bait when i get back to the ramp.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:55 pm

I thought the Fisheries may have brought in a regulation of only two rods per person with the fishing license.. Here in Tassie salt water fishing is free except for rock lobster, scallop, set lines & nets.. but fresh water fishing one has to have a license (like you do), the license covers one rod per person, one extra rod is allowed at an extra cost.. No more than two rods are allowed for fresh water fishing, no restrictions of rods used for salt water fishing but one should not be more than 20 meters from their set rods... Myself, I think two rods per person is ample fishing fresh or salt water....

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:44 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:06 pm
I dont fish landbased any more, but it used to frustrate me when you would get to a nice spot only to see some other bloke has a spread out covering 10m+ of fishing space.

In an ideal world you wouldnt need a law. Common sense and looking after your mates (even the ones you havent met) would come in to play and the person would pack up a couple of rods to make room, but those are ideals of a country that has long been lost.
These days people look at me strange when i ask them if they want my left over bait when i get back to the ramp.
I've always find it funny when people look at you strange for trying to start a conversation, even something fishing related like asking if they've caught anything!

Hearing these stories of shoulder to shoulder fishing has me counting my blessings being on the other side of the bay.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:59 pm

Andrews wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:44 pm
SteveoTheTiger wrote:

I've always find it funny when people look at you strange for trying to start a conversation, even something fishing related like asking if they've caught anything!

Hearing these stories of shoulder to shoulder fishing has me counting my blessings being on the other side of the bay.

I'm never a fan of necro'ing posts, but I need to vent.

I think that four rods per person land-based is completely unreasonable and that unless the we voice this concern, the quality of fishing experiences land-based will decline throughout Victoria.

I decided to try fishing the Clifton Springs jetty for some squid this-evening and there were two individuals, four rods each taking up the whole end section of the pier. The first had four rods facing outwards, the second had his four rods facing with the wind. Photo attached.
fish.jpg
What kind of bull is this and why do we continue to allow it. We've all seen photos of places like Queenscliff where there are four times as many rods as people, whole piers completely taken over by groups spacing out four rods each. At what point do we demand that enough is enough, that there needs to be change to protect the quality of fishing experiences in Victoria.

Never been so livid in my life, wrote to VRFish in a more formal manner raising my concerns.

I love land-based fishing, but experiences like this sell me on getting a boat.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:03 pm

It'd be pretty easy to have a general rod limit then have location specific limits for certain piers. Big sign at the start of the pier saying 1 or 2 rods per person so there's no excuses for not knowing.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:07 pm

Andrews wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:59 pm
Andrews wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:44 pm
SteveoTheTiger wrote:

I'm never a fan of necro'ing posts, but I need to vent.

I think that four rods per person land-based is completely unreasonable and that unless the we voice this concern, the quality of fishing experiences land-based will decline throughout Victoria.

I decided to try fishing the Clifton Springs jetty for some squid this-evening and there were two individuals, four rods each taking up the whole end section of the pier. The first had four rods facing outwards, the second had his four rods facing with the wind. Photo attached.
fish.jpg

What kind of bull is this and why do we continue to allow it. We've all seen photos of places like Queenscliff where there are four times as many rods as people, whole piers completely taken over by groups spacing out four rods each. At what point do we demand that enough is enough, that there needs to be change to protect the quality of fishing experiences in Victoria.

Never been so livid in my life, wrote to VRFish in a more formal manner raising my concerns.

I love land-based fishing, but experiences like this sell me on getting a boat.
just cast between the rods if they r a couple of meters apart.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Return to “General”