fishing zone restrictions

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Re: fishing zone restrictions

Post by ChrisTaylor » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:06 pm

I'm hoping -- really, really hoping -- that people's behaviour doesn't 'force' the government's hand re: banning fishing outright, or even closing certain piers. When the garfish or squid are on the bite people seem to forget themselves, and gather in huge numbers with minimal distancing. If you bring *that* issue up on a forum or Facebook group folks will turn it into a race thing ... but you see all sorts packing piers. A few too many social media pix of people crowding piers is probably all it will take for them to pull the plug on fishing.

Basically, I hope people aren't bellends and have it ruined for the rest of us.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:48 pm

ChrisTaylor wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:06 pm
I'm hoping -- really, really hoping -- that people's behaviour doesn't 'force' the government's hand re: banning fishing outright, or even closing certain piers. When the garfish or squid are on the bite people seem to forget themselves, and gather in huge numbers with minimal distancing. If you bring *that* issue up on a forum or Facebook group folks will turn it into a race thing ... but you see all sorts packing piers. A few too many social media pix of people crowding piers is probably all it will take for them to pull the plug on fishing.

Basically, I hope people aren't bellends and have it ruined for the rest of us.
Mate I was fishing an empty rock ledge in NSW tha'ts 250m long, 3km from a carpark last week and the only other guy that showed up literally stood within 1.5m of my rod holder to try and cast his bait jig.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:22 pm

I know I will be avoiding my local pier enough though it's not within the area affecting these new restrictions.
As we're starting to see our first cases on the Bellarine/Geelong area, time to hit the beaches and the less populated areas.
Might even find a new favourite fishing spot.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:19 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:29 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:00 pm
staewide lockdown coming soon is what ive been informed.
288 odd cases today.

not sure if fishing will be taken away this time or not..
It will depend on where those cases are if they are more confined to the metro area it will probably just stay Melbourne metro If it’s more wide spread maybe
I did catch part of the breakdown of where they were, over 200 between the west, north and city, only a handful elsewhere all concentrated in the metro area

sturgeon
Has liked: 14 times

Post by sturgeon » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:17 pm

Here are the details :

https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-fishing/COVID19

Under the reinstated Stage 3 Stay at Home restrictions that apply to metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire, fishing and boating is a permitted activity with the following restrictions:

If you live in metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire, you can go fishing and boating within metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire with one other person or with your household.
You cannot travel outside of metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire to go boating and fishing.
If you live outside of metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire, existing restrictions still apply – but you cannot travel into metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire to go boating and fishing.
It's critical you keep 1.5 metres between yourself and others on land and on-board vessels, and you practise good hygiene.

While bays and oceans are outside the restricted area, they will be treated as a mixed zone. This means, providing physical distancing and numbers requirements are met:

All boats launched within metropolitan Melbourne must be retrieved back in metropolitan Melbourne, and vice versa for the rest of Victoria.
Boats launched within metropolitan Melbourne must not land outside of Metro Melbourne, and vice versa for the rest of Victoria.

angler-charles

Post by angler-charles » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:07 pm

Theoretically speaking, yes, you can fish anywhere in the restricted zone as shown on the map.

But one of my friends' friend got a fine at Number Sixteen Beach in Mornington last Saturday, the reason is he lives in Williamstown but fishes in Mornington, it is not reasonable travel...

And my friend asked one of his friends who is a policeman, he told us the police can issue a fine as long as he wants(can be reasonable), but you can find a lawyer to dispute this if you do not want to pay this fine, so I decide not going to fishing this week...

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:49 pm

Good to hear about fining people for driving too far.

It’s a good opportunity to try out some spots closer to home though, carp in small creeks are a lot of fun
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:04 pm

angler-charles wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:07 pm
Theoretically speaking, yes, you can fish anywhere in the restricted zone as shown on the map.

But one of my friends' friend got a fine at Number Sixteen Beach in Mornington last Saturday, the reason is he lives in Williamstown but fishes in Mornington, it is not reasonable travel...

And my friend asked one of his friends who is a policeman, he told us the police can issue a fine as long as he wants(can be reasonable), but you can find a lawyer to dispute this if you do not want to pay this fine, so I decide not going to fishing this week...
how credible is this friends friends alleged fine and story?
this is exactly what i was having a discussion about on social media.
seems to be two very different versions of Allowable fishing locations going by what various people are saying.

Direct copy From DHS website below and link to the article (DHS statement)
I live in Melbourne. Can I undertake recreational activities like fishing?
Yes. From 11:59pm on 8 July, if you live in metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire, you can leave home for permitted exercise and recreation activities that are outdoors and can be done by yourself, members of your household, or with one other person.

You must be able to maintain a 1.5 metre distance and no equipment should be shared.

This includes, fishing, boating, surfing, recreational diving, learning to drive, or reading in a park. However, you cannot drive a long way from your home to do these activities, if they can be done closer to home.

You cannot leave the metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire for sporting or recreational activities. This is an important step to help us slow the spread of the virus.

While you can do these activities in metropolitan Melbourne or Mitchell Shire, you should stay close to home and use common sense and consideration when it comes to these activities.

Direct copy from fisheries web site below and copy to article (Fisheries Statement)

Coronavirus fishing restrictions

Under the reinstated Stage 3 Stay at Home restrictions that apply to metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire, fishing and boating is a permitted activity with the following restrictions:

If you live in metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire, you can go fishing and boating within metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire with one other person or with your household.
You cannot travel outside of metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire to go boating and fishing.
If you live outside of metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire, existing restrictions still apply – but you cannot travel into metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire to go boating and fishing.
It's critical you keep 1.5 metres between yourself and others on land and on-board vessels, and you practise good hygiene.

While bays and oceans are outside the restricted area, they will be treated as a mixed zone. This means, providing physical distancing and numbers requirements are met:

All boats launched within metropolitan Melbourne must be retrieved back in metropolitan Melbourne, and vice versa for the rest of Victoria.
Boats launched within metropolitan Melbourne must not land outside of Metro Melbourne, and vice versa for the rest of Victoria

as you can see
Fisheries Doesnt state anywhere to keep the travel to a minimum
whereas the DHS says to keep the travel close to home (which makes more sense given the current situation we are in)

However what i have seen on social media and now here conflicts with this information
ive seen people get fined for being out of boundaries (mount waverly adress fishing in beaumaris) and now this guy here williamstown adress fishing in mornington

and ive also seen posts where people have been inspected on a daily basis and never had anything said to them (fishing carrum to blackrock and living in same area)

seems like if the travel distance is considered a fair bit then a fine can be handed down... as opposed to whats been stated on fisheries website, that fishing can be done anywhere in metro melbourne..

cheers

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:14 pm

Spot on purple,
I had to go to dhs site for clarification
Gra

angler-charles

Post by angler-charles » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:32 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:04 pm
angler-charles wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:07 pm

how credible is this friends friends alleged fine and story?
this is exactly what i was having a discussion about on social media.
seems to be two very different versions of Allowable fishing locations going by what various people are saying.

Direct copy From DHS website below and link to the article (DHS statement)
I live in Melbourne. Can I undertake recreational activities like fishing?
Yes. From 11:59pm on 8 July, if you live in metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire, you can leave home for permitted exercise and recreation activities that are outdoors and can be done by yourself, members of your household, or with one other person.

You must be able to maintain a 1.5 metre distance and no equipment should be shared.

This includes, fishing, boating, surfing, recreational diving, learning to drive, or reading in a park. However, you cannot drive a long way from your home to do these activities, if they can be done closer to home.

You cannot leave the metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire for sporting or recreational activities. This is an important step to help us slow the spread of the virus.

While you can do these activities in metropolitan Melbourne or Mitchell Shire, you should stay close to home and use common sense and consideration when it comes to these activities.

Direct copy from fisheries web site below and copy to article (Fisheries Statement)

Coronavirus fishing restrictions

Boats launched within metropolitan Melbourne must not land outside of Metro Melbourne, and vice versa for the rest of Victoria

as you can see
Fisheries Doesnt state anywhere to keep the travel to a minimum
whereas the DHS says to keep the travel close to home (which makes more sense given the current situation we are in)

However what i have seen on social media and now here conflicts with this information
ive seen people get fined for being out of boundaries (mount waverly adress fishing in beaumaris) and now this guy here williamstown adress fishing in mornington

and ive also seen posts where people have been inspected on a daily basis and never had anything said to them (fishing carrum to blackrock and living in same area)

seems like if the travel distance is considered a fair bit then a fine can be handed down... as opposed to whats been stated on fisheries website, that fishing can be done anywhere in metro melbourne..

cheers

Yes, exactly, I think the fine because he lives in Williamstown, he can fishing there, doesn't need to travel to Mornington.
Like this post, he lives in Epping, no fishing spot here, he can travel, I think.

Return to “General”