fishing zone restrictions

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: fishing zone restrictions

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:09 am

cheaterparts wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:27 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:02 pm
Read the DHHS site properly. It states you must not travel long distances to carry out these activities.
heres the problem - what is the accurate distance of a long distance that we must not travel ( and not what you guess it is I would like to know the accurate measurement ) the guide lines also stay close to home again what is that measurement and compared to what

everyone will have different interpretations on vague rules - think about it how many guys don't think twice about doing a day trip to Portland if the tuna are on so don't think that is unreasonable of a long distance so say Cranbourne to Altona is quite a shore distance and using the same measurements Altona is close to home

thats not saying I would bother driving to Altona from Cranbourne but just pointing out how vague the rules/guidelines are

I didn’t make these rules mate.
Merely passing on official statements from relevant authorities!!
What you make from them is entirely up to you.
I suggest if you want to know more info, you ring the DHHS or FV hotlines and ask them yourself.
That way you can’t blame anyone but yourself IF you copped a fine.
As Robbie has just posted now, they have enforced the rules a bit more since last night probably due to people trying to flout the current rules
(no official releases from either DHHS or FV yet).

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:37 am

"I am a member of a golf course 15km away but there is a public course around the corner from my house. Where am I allowed to play?

If you are a member of a sporting club, you can attend. This does not apply if it involves entering regional Victoria from Melbourne."

I am a member of a yarra canoe club, ergo I can travel from northern suburbs to the yarra to kayak, according to this, and its the nearest river albeit 15kms away
Last edited by laneends on Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:38 am

purple5ive wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:09 am
cheaterparts wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
Read the DHHS site properly. It states you must not travel long distances to carry out these activities.
heres the problem - what is the accurate distance of a long distance that we must not travel ( and not what you guess it is I would like to know the accurate measurement ) the guide lines also stay close to home again what is that measurement and compared to what

everyone will have different interpretations on vague rules - think about it how many guys don't think twice about doing a day trip to Portland if the tuna are on so don't think that is unreasonable of a long distance so say Cranbourne to Altona is quite a shore distance and using the same measurements Altona is close to home

thats not saying I would bother driving to Altona from Cranbourne but just pointing out how vague the rules/guidelines are

I suggest if you want to know more info, you ring the DHHS or FV hotlines and ask them yourself.
As Robbie has just posted now, they have enforced the rules a bit more since last night probably due to people trying to flout the current rules
The problem is, you could get official word from the DHHS hotline say it yes that's fine, but get pulled up short of your destination by coppers and get fined. It depends entirely on what person with any sort of power decides on the spot. You can literally be waved off to continue by 18 of a 20 man police station, and fined by 2 in the exact same location...

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:52 am

cobby wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:38 am

The problem is, you could get official word from the DHHS hotline say it yes that's fine, but get pulled up short of your destination by coppers and get fined. It depends entirely on what person with any sort of power decides on the spot. You can literally be waved off to continue by 18 of a 20 man police station, and fined by 2 in the exact same location...
true but then you can appeal it and uniform rules would apply, but who wants that stress in the first place? I think the safest is just go to nearest place, unfortunately that may mean a switch from winter snapper and gummies to carp for some.

Cyclist will be hard to control as for many of them including me a reasonable amount of exercise is 20km plus, thats not going to restrict anyone to local suburbs when all the bike paths are linked.

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:55 am

If it’s left up to the cops discretion then it’ll be a dog’s breakfast. I went to Gunners last Friday, I won’t be pushing my luck now.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:59 am

Troy McLure wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:55 am
If it’s left up to the cops discretion then it’ll be a dog’s breakfast. I went to Gunners last Friday, I won’t be pushing my luck now.
If you wanted to fish Gunnamatta and were worried about getting spotchecked on the way there, buy an old surfboard and chuck it in your car.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:05 am

cobby wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:38 am
purple5ive wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:09 am
cheaterparts wrote:
purple5ive wrote:

The situation you have described is 100% possible.
The only thing I could suggest is ask for it in an email format, ask for the call to be recorded and get the reference number, if none is available, ask for a reference name and position held, so the coppers can then call and find out.
Or record the call yourself..
All this just to avoid a potential fine is absolute garbage, but its either that or STFAH until the lockdown is over.
But personally I think it will be game over come Monday for most people!!!

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:09 am

Croydon to Gunnamatta I think is pushing my luck even if I chuck a surfboard in the back. Might check out Dandenong creek for Carp.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:11 am

DougieK wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:59 am
Troy McLure wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:55 am
If you wanted to fish Gunnamatta and were worried about getting spotchecked on the way there, buy an old surfboard and chuck it in your car.
How is that going to help anyone if they still have to travel long distances to do the same activity (exercise)
All you have done is spend money on a surfboard you do not need

deathray
Has liked: 8 times

Post by deathray » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:13 am

This clarification from 8am this morning.
Attachments
D6FF37E8-7A3D-4CA3-8D86-C54054C25869.jpeg

Return to “General”