Satellite Maps - Fishing Resources

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Satellite Maps - Fishing Resources

Post by Andrews » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:55 pm

Hey everyone,

I think we all can agree that COVID-19 has changed not only the way we fish, but also the locations we fish.
As someone who previously predominantly fished landbased piers and structures, making the change to those remote rockwalls and beaches has been a learning curve.

Satellite Imaging gives us the advantage to scope out new fishing spots before we even hit the water, but it has its own challenges.
These are a great resource for identifying those key submerged structures, drop offs and weed patches from home.

Searching around I've found the online resources of Zoom Earth and Google Earth having advantages and disadvantages.
Zoom looks to have a clearer imagine in shallow water and creates a better image, while Google Maps contrast makes some less noticeable drop offs more visible. Zoom Earth has my preference.

Port Phillip Bay: https://zoom.earth/#view=-38.13645,144. ... ayers=esri
Western Port Bay: https://zoom.earth/#view=-38.375399,145.341129,12z

Here are a few examples between the maps of my new favourite flathead spot off Clifton Springs, Victoria.

Zoom Earth Wide Shot
zoom1.png
Google Earth Satellite Wide Shot
earth1.png
I think where the Zoom Earth really shines is in the details.
Screenshot_1-min.png
Google Earth Satellite
earth3-min.png
We may be in lockdown, but there are always ways we can improve our fishing game from home!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Satellite Maps - Fishing Resources

Post by DougieK » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:27 pm

Great post.

I probably spend more time doing this than I do actually fishing.

windy.com is a wonderful resource if you like to watch currents and temp changes as well.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:54 pm

Thanks for posting this up, I spend a ton of time scoping out areas on various sites and it's always handy to have another to check.

A good one for anyone venturing into nsw is sixmaps, very high quality imagery.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:51 am

Don’t forget the plain old google maps traditional view. Especially when looking for small waterways and other areas. You can then flick to satellite view to suss it out in greater detail.

Looking for Skinny waterways in google earth is a slow process. The light blue rivers, creeks and dams in google maps help scan an area very quickly for potential spots.

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:38 pm

You're definitely on point with recommending windy DougieK, always nice seeing the live wind and when a change could hit.

No worries Mazman, you can't beat good maps.

That is a great point Ducky, I never would have never thought of that. Spot on for seeing those smaller creeks!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:53 pm

Lot of my mobile time is scouring over Google maps - I need to up my resources so thanks for the informative post!

Probably too small of a geographic detail to capture are bank heights on river edges. So many times it's looked great access but on location it's a 3-5m drop from edge to water...

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:00 am

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:53 pm
Lot of my mobile time is scouring over Google maps - I need to up my resources so thanks for the informative post!

Probably too small of a geographic detail to capture are bank heights on river edges. So many times it's looked great access but on location it's a 3-5m drop from edge to water...
I’m not sure how accurate it would be for river banks but google earth pro has an elevation setting where you can draw a line across a map and see a relatively detailed change in elevation.

It’s not perfect though. Maybe good for big rivers. Unlikely to be great for small stuff.

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:26 am

I got caught out last year with that. "Explored" a NSW river on G'Maps for a kayak trip, the planned camp ended up being up an inaccessible cliff. I had to paddle about another kilometer, in the dark, to get out of the river.

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:22 pm

ducky wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:00 am

I’m not sure how accurate it would be for river banks but google earth pro has an elevation setting where you can draw a line across a map and see a relatively detailed change in elevation.

It’s not perfect though. Maybe good for big rivers. Unlikely to be great for small stuff.
Thanks for the tip - I'll look to give it a try. Agree - my expectations would be potentially the Murray, maybe but unlikely something like goulburn, ovens, Yarra etc size

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:24 pm

greggo wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:26 am

I got caught out last year with that. "Explored" a NSW river on G'Maps for a kayak trip, the planned camp ended up being up an inaccessible cliff. I had to paddle about another kilometer, in the dark, to get out of the river.
Did you then have to walk back or had all your gear on you to set up camp?

Haven't been that unlucky - just prolonged bank walking and frustration looking at all the good spots holding fish 3-5m below.

Return to “General”