Bike fishing setup

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Leonard
Has liked: 53 times

Bike fishing setup

Post by Leonard » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:01 pm

Hi all,

I just got myself a new gravel bike that I'm pretty excited about. I had plans to pack some gear on it and ride around the bay trails and stop for a fish where it looks good. I imagine fishing with lures/SPs would make sense here, but I remain to be converted and still use bait. Has anyone tried this and have any advice about it? I was thinking of having rods in pvc pipes on the back or splashing out for a couple of travel rods.

Just keen to see if anyone else has done it! Happy to meet give it a go with another member post lockdown.

Cheers,
Leo

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Bike fishing setup

Post by saph » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:55 am

Hiking backpack, can fit a 7 foot 2 peice rod and gear inside it with only a small out of the rod showing unless you open the bottom and that drops out abit more space for you.

Swap to lures/sp for this as you wont have to deal with bait juice from your hands stinking up the bag as you move stuff around inside.

ive got 2 bags i use personaly, my ready to go all the time bag and my camera bag for doing photography and fishing.

all the time ready to go bag

Camera bag (just take all the stuff from the ready to go back and put it in the top compartment)

and the camera section.

You will set up diffrent to me but this is what i do alot of the time when im walking the banks of where i live just throwing lures about in suitable spots for it.

Leonard

Post by Leonard » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:23 am

Cheers mate, this way would save a lot on racks and the like!

Leo

Sebb
Has liked: 3009 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:23 am

Pretty neat setup Saph.
Before I got a car, I had a motorbike. Nothing but just a backpack and a travel rod. Travel rod in it's bag/tube, reel in a reel bag, water bottle and some tackle stuff, all in the bag.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

saph

Post by saph » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:53 am

its a hard setup but when you walk about 5km from the bus station to where you get one back into town to go home its a good kit to have

ive only been walking a quarter of this because of summer but its alot of water to cover aswell

Leonard

Post by Leonard » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:07 pm

saph wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:53 am
its a hard setup but when you walk about 5km from the bus station to where you get one back into town to go home its a good kit to have

ive only been walking a quarter of this because of summer but its alot of water to cover aswell

Is that map from Caloundra saph?

saph

Post by saph » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:50 pm

bong wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:07 pm
saph wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:53 am

Is that map from Caloundra saph?
no its from the northern tip of bribie island and you can see caloundra in the distance :te:

Yes it is.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:17 pm

Saph is that the Crumpler Flying Duck camera bag? What do you think of it?

I bought a Tenba Fulton 14 and im not all that happy with it. Its a great bag overall but the padding on the arms it too short for me and the buckles end up sticking into my arm pits.

I also have the Lowepro Whisltler 350, but that is way to big as an every day bag.

The search for the perfect camera back is as useless as trying to find the perfect tacklebox.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

saph

Post by saph » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:55 am

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:17 pm
Saph is that the Crumpler Flying Duck camera bag? What do you think of it?

The search for the perfect camera back is as useless as trying to find the perfect tacklebox.

It is but i wont tell you its right for you since its just like finding the right tackle box (its able to be done just takes time and what you do for fishing)

For when ive used it: loved it, easy to carry, doesnt look like a camera bag (plus its secure when wearing so thats a big plus), the camera compartment deviders are just velcroed in so can pull them all out and drop the flat in the top and you have the full bag space, holds more then i need and then some and plenty of pockets to stash extra things both in the top, the front and the camera compartment with zippered mesh. I like being able to carry my tripod mostly.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:54 am

Sounds good.

I was trying to decide between the Flying Duck and the Whistler. I chose the Whistler because it was heavily discounted. But its so big that i only use it on long walks.

I also have a bunch of other bags that are great for different things but not something that is like a normal everyday backpack.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Return to “General”