Bike fishing setup

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
potatoeater
Has liked: 9 times

Re: Bike fishing setup

Post by potatoeater » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:39 pm

My bike fishing setup consists of 3 cheap kmart telescopic rods, a small tackle box, and any bait I need I leave in sandwich bag in the side pocket meshes of my backpack. I live in Richmond and I like to ride to one of the nearby piers for dusk time fishing and this works for me. I can get 2 rods with bait plus 1 running plastics/squid jig which greatly increases the odds I catch something.

I originally ran with a 4-piece travel fishing rod and while that was a good rod comparable to any 1/2 piece rod I own, it was pricey and when I fell one time, I broke one of the guides. I also used an old lowepro backpack but with fishing, eventually everything just smells like fish which is not ideal.
With 3 rods, its also less work because I'm lazy and along with my SP setup, I have a 2 drop paternoster and a running sinker rig which covers me for almost anything I want to target in PPB.

There's a lot of ways of doing it and it really depends on your style of fishing. If you're using bait, the only thing I would absolutely recommend is going to the Daiso store in midtown Melbourne and get a packet of plastic hook covers. I'm too lazy to unrig and rig up every time I stop, so being able to clip on a plastic cover onto any exposed hook is a lifesaver.

Leonard
Has liked: 53 times

Re: Bike fishing setup

Post by Leonard » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:05 pm

potatoeater wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:39 pm
My bike fishing setup consists of 3 cheap kmart telescopic rods, a small tackle box, and any bait I need I leave in sandwich bag in the side pocket meshes of my backpack. I live in Richmond and I like to ride to one of the nearby piers for dusk time fishing and this works for me. I can get 2 rods with bait plus 1 running plastics/squid jig which greatly increases the odds I catch something.

I originally ran with a 4-piece travel fishing rod and while that was a good rod comparable to any 1/2 piece rod I own, it was pricey and when I fell one time, I broke one of the guides. I also used an old lowepro backpack but with fishing, eventually everything just smells like fish which is not ideal.
With 3 rods, its also less work because I'm lazy and along with my SP setup, I have a 2 drop paternoster and a running sinker rig which covers me for almost anything I want to target in PPB.

There's a lot of ways of doing it and it really depends on your style of fishing. If you're using bait, the only thing I would absolutely recommend is going to the Daiso store in midtown Melbourne and get a packet of plastic hook covers. I'm too lazy to unrig and rig up every time I stop, so being able to clip on a plastic cover onto any exposed hook is a lifesaver.
Thanks mate, that’s some really practical advice right there!

Return to “General”