Clean up your ****

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Clean up your ****

Post by 4liters » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:15 pm

Turned up at a local spot and found the people who had fished there yesterday had decided that taking all their **** home with them was beneath their dignity and left the place looking like an absolute brothel.

I didn't catch anything worth keeping so the fish bag got filled with cans, bait bags, half smoked cigarettes and various other crud.

The constant refrain is that it's just a small minority ruining it for everyone but it seems like every popular spot I go to is treated like **** so I'm starting to suspect it's actually quite a large minority.

Anyway, next time fishing gets banned somewhere, instead of blaming greenies or vegans or whatever consider it's probably just ordinary people who are sick of seeing their local bit of coastline constantly getting trashed.

/rant
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Clean up your ****

Post by Sebb » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:04 pm

Seems to be getting worse and more common everywhere.

Good on you to collect them.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:05 pm

4liters wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:15 pm
Turned up at a local spot and found the people who had fished there yesterday had decided that taking all their **** home with them was beneath their dignity and left the place looking like an absolute brothel.

I didn't catch anything worth keeping so the fish bag got filled with cans, bait bags, half smoked cigarettes and various other crud.

The constant refrain is that it's just a small minority ruining it for everyone but it seems like every popular spot I go to is treated like **** so I'm starting to suspect it's actually quite a large minority.

Anyway, next time fishing gets banned somewhere, instead of blaming greenies or vegans or whatever consider it's probably just ordinary people who are sick of seeing their local bit of coastline constantly getting trashed.

/rant
This is not a solution to the problem, but the “Respect the Bush” campaign is a way the 4wd/camping community are trying keep our land clean, and is gaining momentum.
https://youtu.be/RfrkHK9UW7w
Something similar marketed by fisheries could be take off as well as it has in other communities, instead of big bags, perhaps bags half the size that would be convenient for fishos.
I often pick up rubbish wherever I am, whether I peddle over to it and scoop it out of the water, throw it in a bag I keep in my car wherever I go, or just rubbish on the ground near a bin.
Unfortunately, the scumbags leaving rubbish behind are the only people that can truly resolve this issue, by not littering in the first place. On the flip side, it is good to see the wider community does give a damn, and hopefully cares enough, to keep our land/coastlines accessible for all of us (including the littering flogs) to enjoy.

It’s unfortunate you didn’t bag any dinner, but good on you for keeping one of our many valuable assets healthy :tu:

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:22 pm

Inconsiderate arseholes, they are everywhere in life sadly.

Don Fisher
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Don Fisher » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:26 pm

It’s disgusting. I go to Avalon a bit, it’s terrible there, not to mention the dead Banjos. The only fish these floggs can catch and they think it’s a good idea to leave them to die

ronan
Has liked: 91 times

Post by ronan » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:08 pm

Lagoon pier was an absolute shocker this morning too. 5 lebos literally brought 20 rods plus a bbq, and heaps of other crap. Had it all splayed across the pier. Proceeded to catch and keep 2 15 cm trevally and 1 20 cm pinkie then eat them on the bbq despite me and a few other fishos telling them they can get fined. Then they left a gigantic cardboard box full of trash on the pier for it to blow away in the wind. So sad to see.

Don Fisher

Post by Don Fisher » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:27 pm

Mate they’re fn retarded. Don’t have their mums to clean up after them

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:17 am

Not good
You have to work at getting your Fishing area clean.If you leave stuff there it will get worst.Dont whine about it -Pick it up like 4l did
On the Bellarine area we have the following
Many commercial bins -So birds carnt get in
Free doggie bags every few 100s meters on the coastal walking track-About 17 klms-Filled up twice a week
Bayside workers paid to pick up rubbish,over the holidays paid litter kids cleaning up areas and beaches
Most track walkers will pic up the rubbish that they go past'-must be 100s of walkers per day
Never see plastic bags on beaches or in water
My thought is people will respect a good clean area and keep it clean not a crappy dirty one

Don Fisher

Post by Don Fisher » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:35 am

denis barden wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:17 am
Not good
You have to work at getting your Fishing area clean.If you leave stuff there it will get worst.Dont whine about it -Pick it up like 4l did
On the Bellarine area we have the following
Many commercial bins -So birds carnt get in
Free doggie bags every few 100s meters on the coastal walking track-About 17 klms-Filled up twice a week
Bayside workers paid to pick up rubbish,over the holidays paid litter kids cleaning up areas and beaches
Most track walkers will pic up the rubbish that they go past'-must be 100s of walkers per day
Never see plastic bags on beaches or in water
My thought is people will respect a good clean area and keep it clean not a crappy dirty one
Yeah you’re definitely in an area where these sort of people don’t frequent haha

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Post by Charles7 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:47 am

I've started bringing a garbage bag with me to clean up after other fishos, I hate seeing empty bait packets and clumps of bird-nested line scattered along a riverbank.

Return to “General”