Hooks

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Hooks

Post by ducky » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:14 pm

G'day guys.

Slowly but surely getting everything properly organised on the boat. I've decided to have a crack at species specific tackle trays.

By that I mean a 3500 tray dedicated to the likes of ting/flatties/bait collection. Kl1/0 and mustad long shanks. All the swivels and beads. Plus a spool of leader.

Im wanting to do the same for snapper and gummies. A selection of 4/0 and 5/0 suicides and some 6/0 and 8/0 circles.

The problem I've struck with the larger hooks is what to use. I've had a few gamakatsu failures over the years. The price of the big names are just ludicrous, but worse is the lack of bulk packs. Absolutely loving the black magic kilt's on the gummys but the tiny packs of hooks makes it an expensive exercise to stock up. $12-15 for a 5 pack of hooks

Does anyone know where to buy good hooks at a decent price? I see a lot of people using reedys but I'm not sold as of yet. Anyone tried hookem?

luka
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Hooks

Post by luka » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:41 pm

I use daiichi octopus/suicides for reds, they come in bulk packs can get them from compleat angler in dandy.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:19 pm

I used to be very keen on Gama's but these days I mostly use Mustad and black magic.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:06 pm

Mustad Octopus circle 39935NPBN. Pack of 25 and come in around $1 a hook. Any joint that stocks Mustad hooks and Live Fibre rods can get them in from Wilson fishing if they don't have them on the wall. They're also more rust resistant than Black Magic hooks. And for suicides if you want a lighter gauge go the Mustad Penetrator 92604NPBLN or the bog standard Mustad Big Red 92554NPNR if you want a standard wire gauge hook. Again in 25s and around that $1 each mark.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:28 pm

Not sure how active he is on here anymore but 4L was using rigmaster hooks a while back. Could be worth asking if he's still using them and how he finds them, they are a much cheaper alternative
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:10 am

Yeah cheers gents. Reminds me I think I got a bunch of those mustad big reds years ago when big w or Kmart was clearing out the good stuff. I'll need to dig them out. From memory some of the hook points were rubbish on them. Probably far more cost effective to just touch up the points On 20-30 hooks and throw them in the box.

Got any thoughts on inline eyes on circles instead of the offset eye? The black magic klt's don't have the offset eye all the other manufacturers seem to have. Been really happy with hooksets with them though. Potentially results in reduced spin in tide too.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:37 pm

mazman wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:28 pm
Not sure how active he is on here anymore but 4L was using rigmaster hooks a while back. Could be worth asking if he's still using them and how he finds them, they are a much cheaper alternative
I still use them, they work fine. Never had one break although I don't think they're as sticky as Owner or Black Magic hooks.

I also like Mustad hooks, the 5/0 Demon circle hooks are my go-to flathead hook and I imagine the larger hooks are fine for bigger fish.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “General”