Bemm river questions

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Bemm river questions

Post by Irishfisherman » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:13 am

Hi all, taking a trip to bemm river in a few weeks hoping to catch bream, flathead and whatever else is on offer really. Just after a few pointers as to lures and areas to fish, taking kayaks also but any landbased recommendations would also be greatly appreciated.

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Re: Bemm river questions

Post by eddyt » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:12 pm

Heaps of options at the Bemm, but not many land based.

Most of the system is very shallow <2m but there will be fish in the shallowest of spots. It also depends if the mouth has been opened to the ocean and when it was last opened - generally fishes better after a few weeks of it opening. Check with the locals. Generally, try to cast as far away from the yak as possible during the day.

Area 1: deeper water
Straight out from the boat ramp, there is a deeper channel that runs most of the way out towards the mouth/channel which is mostly free from weed. Here's your best bet if fishing with metal vibes or bait on the bottom, cast on the edges of the channel. You'll know you're in the right spot if there's mostly no weed.

Area 2: mahogany
Head out to the opposite bank from the boat ramp, slightly to the right, and go all the way to within 50m of shore. Cast shallow divers near the mangroves. Don't worry if you can see the bottom, it will be shallow.

Area 3: channel
Out towards the ocean, there's a channel where it gets very deep. You'll get more salmon and tailor here on metals and surface lures. Around the shallow edges are also good for bream here but I haven't had as much success here.

Area 4: river
Go to the left of the boat ramp and you'll find an entrance into the river. Lots of snags here, generally good for bream and EPs.

Area 5: everywhere else!
You'll find bream everywhere. In close is better in low light.

Land based is limited to the pier and boat ramp. Try here at night with bait for bream. You can also try parts of the river.

I mostly fish with bait here so someone else might be able to give you some more tips on what lures to use. All I know is flathead love SPs, and tailor will take trolled metals. If bait is your thing, sandworm is the best all rounder, peeled prawns are always good, haven't tried pilchard or squid but it could work.

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:43 pm

pretty much as above.
i've caught tailor trolling in the lake.
caught a heap of bream in the river on a trip 30 years ago, doesn't seem like many head across and fish the rive these daysr, or maybe they just keep quiet about it.
the "entrance" is nice but also the most fished area at the times i was there.

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Post by Irishfisherman » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:36 am

eddyt wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:12 pm

Most of the system is very shallow <2m but there will be fish in the shallowest of spots. It also depends if the mouth has been opened to the ocean and when it was last opened - generally fishes better after a few weeks of it opening. Check with the locals. Generally, try to cast as far away from the yak as possible during the day.

Straight out from the boat ramp, there is a deeper channel that runs most of the way out towards the mouth/channel which is mostly free from weed. Here's your best bet if fishing with metal vibes or bait on the bottom, cast on the edges of the channel. You'll know you're in the right spot if there's mostly no weed.

Head out to the opposite bank from the boat ramp, slightly to the right, and go all the way to within 50m of shore. Cast shallow divers near the mangroves. Don't worry if you can see the bottom, it will be shallow.

Out towards the ocean, there's a channel where it gets very deep. You'll get more salmon and tailor here on metals and surface lures. Around the shallow edges are also good for bream here but I haven't had as much success here.

Go to the left of the boat ramp and you'll find an entrance into the river. Lots of snags here, generally good for bream and EPs.

Land based is limited to the pier and boat ramp. Try here at night with bait for bream. You can also try parts of the river.

I mostly fish with bait here so someone else might be able to give you some more tips on what lures to use. All I know is flathead love SPs, and tailor will take trolled metals. If bait is your thing, sandworm is the best all rounder, peeled prawns are always good, haven't tried pilchard or squid but it could work.
Thanks a heap Ill definitely give those spots a crack, Id love to catch a big flathead but anything would be good. Ill report back after the trip!

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:30 am

Check out Dolly's Garden if the wind blows up. Good backup spot
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Fisho11
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Fisho11 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:37 pm

Ive always liked running Bent Minnow style lures and very light paddle tail plastics over the weed beds when unsure where to fish around there, Especially in the dawn/ dusk periods. Hope this helps

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:34 pm

There's a hobie comp on there this weekend that will give some pretty good info on how system is fishing. Typically this time of year I like to fish shallow weedbeds where the winds blowing with bent minnows or shallow jerkbaits in the 60-80mm range
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

nookb

Post by nookb » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:24 pm

eddyt wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:12 pm

fishing conditions can vary, so be prepared to adapt your techniques based on weather, tides, and water clarity. And most importantly, have fun and enjoy your time on the water!

Return to “General”