Best Saltwater lures/plastics for during the Night

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Jaka474

Best Saltwater lures/plastics for during the Night

Post by Jaka474 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:50 pm

What are your favorite/best Lures to use at night? I was fishing at Lorne pier at night with a Gulp 4in Jigging Grub in a white glow and hooked a couple of Couta, i was only using that plastic because it was the only thing i had that glowed. What Colors would be best during the night? Do the colors have to have some glow in them? Would really like to target some Couta, Snapper, Flathead or anything really during the night on lures.

Lajon

Re: Best Saltwater lures/plastics for during the Night

Post by Lajon » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:38 pm

hmmm..... :dontknow never really used SPs at night. Makes sense to assume glowing ones would be the go. But would have thought only the more aggressive species would go after something thats glowing in the dark....

snapperslayer

Post by snapperslayer » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Try darker colours as they cast better silhouette. I have caught decent pinkies consistently in the night along with flatties.

shazzagraz

Post by shazzagraz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:18 am

I've always wondered about using soft plastics at night, but haven't given it a crack. I figured I wouldn't be able to see my line to be able to read what my SP is doing, so I haven't bothered. I might have to just give it a go one of these days and see how I go!

snapperslayer

Post by snapperslayer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:48 am

shazzagraz wrote:I've always wondered about using soft plastics at night, but haven't given it a crack. I figured I wouldn't be able to see my line to be able to read what my SP is doing, so I haven't bothered. I might have to just give it a go one of these days and see how I go!

You do not have to see the line, if you have a sensitive rod and braid, you will feel the slightest tick, work them slowly at night; Flouro green colour is very visible in the dark.

Cheers
D

shazzagraz

Post by shazzagraz » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:57 am

snapperslayer wrote:
shazzagraz wrote:I've always wondered about using soft plastics at night, but haven't given it a crack. I figured I wouldn't be able to see my line to be able to read what my SP is doing, so I haven't bothered. I might have to just give it a go one of these days and see how I go!

You do not have to see the line, if you have a sensitive rod and braid, you will feel the slightest tick, work them slowly at night; Flouro green colour is very visible in the dark.

Cheers
D
Thanks mate. I do like to see my line though as I leave some slack in the line as the plastic sinks and sometimes I'll see a twitch in the line that I won't feel in the rod. Generally though if something does take the plastic on the drop I'll hook it with the next loft of the rod, so yeah I guess it could work out alright. I'll definitely give it a shot the next time I'm out fishing at night! That won't be for a while though as we've just had a baby on Monday night.

Return to “General”