Spear fishing gear questions

Forum for Snorkeling information around Melbourne.
ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Spear fishing gear questions

Post by ducky » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:46 pm

Hey guys.

Spent the arvo cruising around ricketts marine park with the snorkel gear for the first time. Chasing snapper and whiting around along with seeing abs etc got me thinking about doing it “in the real world”

I’ve got a cheap shitty wetsuit which will be warm enough for summer. Snorkel and fins and a dive knife. What are the other must haves that will actually be good to use? I know I can walk into a dive shop and drop a few hunj but I’d rather get some recommendations.

I figure I need a dive float, catch bag. Hood and socks. Gloves? Weights? What else?

Where’s the best place/brands to buy this stuff at relatively reasonable prices. I’m just after midrange gear

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Spear fishing gear questions

Post by Mattblack » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:50 am

You'll need a weight belt...Adreno (Cheltenham) has good gear & always has a clearance sale on

ducky

Post by ducky » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:55 pm

Cheers mate. I’ll poke my head into adreno on Tuesday. Anywhere else worthwhile looking?

junior
Has liked: 58 times

Post by junior » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:33 pm

No need, they have everything and they're good to talk to

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:32 pm

ducky wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:46 pm
Hey guys.

Spent the arvo cruising around ricketts marine park with the snorkel gear for the first time. Chasing snapper and whiting around along with seeing abs etc got me thinking about doing it “in the real world”

I’ve got a cheap shitty wetsuit which will be warm enough for summer. Snorkel and fins and a dive knife. What are the other must haves that will actually be good to use? I know I can walk into a dive shop and drop a few hunj but I’d rather get some recommendations.

I figure I need a dive float, catch bag. Hood and socks. Gloves? Weights? What else?

Where’s the best place/brands to buy this stuff at relatively reasonable prices. I’m just after midrange gear
If you’re ever out Geelong way, the Geelong Dive Centre is also worth a look, I found them to always be helpful

EDIT: if I could make two recommendations for safety, it would be:
1. a dive rope, float and flag. Mine had a speed needle attached at the gun end, which I would unclip from the gun, feed it in the fish’s mouth then out the gills, then clip straight back onto the gun. The fish would slide all the way to the float while you are swimming around. That way any unwanted attention from stingrays, seals, etc. is kept away from you.
2. Probably the most important one for me - find a dive buddy. My dad USED TO have a mate that would dive solo.

For gear recommendations, I don’t know what mask you have, but a good quality mask makes a huge difference when having a long day in the water.
Also as you mentioned - gloves. If you intend on laying on the bottom, you will be grabbing at reef/weed every now and again, stirring up handfuls of sand, etc. and will be concentrating on what is swimming around you more than where you are putting your hands.
A weight belt will be handy if you plan on diving down at all. When spearing I had a 5mm wetsuit (I get cold easily), so I used a weight belt and also a weight vest. Having the vest on meant less weight around my waist which could cause a lower back ache by the end of the day.

Spearfishing is a simple concept - but there is always more to buy!

Good luck and have fun :tu:

ducky

Post by ducky » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:47 pm

Cheers mate. Appreciate the feedback.

Definitely won’t be doing hectic diving solo. I’ll just be kicking around the surface to begin with...

Return to “Snorkeling and diving around Melbourne”