Spear fishing

Forum for Snorkeling information around Melbourne.
Joker91
Has liked: 111 times

Spear fishing

Post by Joker91 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:35 pm

So here is a couple of pictures from this weeks spearing sessions. I have recently began this as new hobby from New Years and I must say, I am thoroughly enjoying it!

Couple of morwongs and leather jackets (please correct me if that is not a morwong). The pics may look the same but they are actually two different days. Just dumb luck I got the same two fish each day hahhaa
Attachments
0B0CF7F5-8E0E-4BA4-9943-D12A2EF7AC2E.jpeg
979130AD-C2FE-492A-B0CA-7E1C36630662.jpeg

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Re: Spear fishing

Post by Andrews » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:55 am

How would you rate the butterfish eating quality?
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:39 am

Joker91 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:35 pm
So here is a couple of pictures from this weeks spearing sessions. I have recently began this as new hobby from New Years and I must say, I am thoroughly enjoying it!

Couple of morwongs and leather jackets (please correct me if that is not a morwong). The pics may look the same but they are actually two different days. Just dumb luck I got the same two fish each day hahhaa
Looks like a sea carp or whatever, absolutely horrible if it is that, but to each their own.

I got into spear fishing the last 2 or 3 years. I quickly realised how bad Victoria is for this hobby so now I’ve gone back to angling. I found it really hard to get the bread and butter species (whiting, snapper, flathead, gummy’s etc) and found nothing but junk (wrasse, banjos, sea carp, sweep, leathers etc etc.). Did find a little honey hole of boar fish which was nice but other than that, SFA.

Pretty much gave up on taking the spear and just dive for lobster and abalone but haven’t had much luck on the lobster. Plenty of abs though.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:08 am

Kimtown wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:39 am
Joker91 wrote:

Looks like a sea carp or whatever, absolutely horrible if it is that, but to each their own.
Yep. It's a sea carp, marbled kelpfish, kelpie, a million other names, Aplodactylus arctidens. Crap eating not worth feeding to a cat

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:34 am

Kimtown wrote:
Joker91 wrote:

I got into spear fishing the last 2 or 3 years. I quickly realised how bad Victoria is for this hobby so now I’ve gone back to angling. I found it really hard to get the bread and butter species (whiting, snapper, flathead, gummy’s etc) and found nothing but junk (wrasse, banjos, sea carp, sweep, leathers etc etc.). Did find a little honey hole of boar fish which was nice but other than that, SFA.

Pretty much gave up on taking the spear and just dive for lobster and abalone but haven’t had much luck on the lobster. Plenty of abs though.
Yeah, I reckon it all seasonable and so location dependent - I used to go out quite a bit off Clifton Springs, all along the Curlewis bank 2-3m and the amount of flathead and squid you'd see in spring/summer would blow you away. Whiting you'd have cruise by, but since it's so shallow they'd spook way easy.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Joker91

Post by Joker91 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:58 am

Andrews wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:55 am
How would you rate the butterfish eating quality?
Haven’t tried it yet, but I will definitely let you know once I do. Seeing some of the posts here, doesn’t seem like I will be in for a treat.

Joker91

Post by Joker91 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:00 am

cobby wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:08 am
Kimtown wrote:
Joker91 wrote:

Yep. It's a sea carp, marbled kelpfish, kelpie, a million other names, Aplodactylus arctidens. Crap eating not worth feeding to a cat
Sea carp = morwong ? Or are they two completely different fishes?

Joker91

Post by Joker91 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:06 am

Kimtown wrote:
Joker91 wrote:

It’s more for the warmer days. I get bored when we are at the beach all day and I am doing nothing. As I enjoy being in the water snorkelling it’s just something to piggyback off and maybe get a couple of things to eat.

Joker91

Post by Joker91 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:07 am

Andrews wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:34 am
Kimtown wrote:
Joker91 wrote:

Yeah, I reckon it all seasonable and so location dependent - I used to go out quite a bit off Clifton Springs, all along the Curlewis bank 2-3m and the amount of flathead and squid you'd see in spring/summer would blow you away. Whiting you'd have cruise by, but since it's so shallow they'd spook way easy.
I still haven’t seen any squid (besides this one in WA).

I am having that exact same issue with the whiting. Seen a couple of good size one but struggling to get them on.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:11 pm

Joker91 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:00 am
cobby wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:08 am
Kimtown wrote:
Joker91 wrote:

Sea carp = morwong ? Or are they two completely different fishes?
Different. And sea carp is much, much worse. And Dusky’s are pretty damn bad to begin with lol

Return to “Snorkeling and diving around Melbourne”