Best waders out there

A-a-ron
Has liked: 32 times

Best waders out there

Post by A-a-ron » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:44 am

Hey everyone,

Just wondering what waders are decent pair to buy in a waist boot style one. Price isn’t a problem just unsure on which ones are worth getting, as seen some at stores and was unsure how well they’d hold up over a period of time.

Cheers, have a good one and tight lines!

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Best waders out there

Post by Sebb » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:11 pm

What are you going to use it for?
There's heaps out there.

If you do serious river fishing stuff, look for "fly fishing waders", if its just for surf fishing on the beach, no need for fancy stuff.
Simms is one of the brand fly fishermen use.

The good ones are breathable, sometimes multi layers.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:16 pm

Always get a little worried wearing waders on the surf personally

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:49 pm

Depends on intended usage - what season/s, what terrain, what water type mostly come to mind for me.

Personally i find the $50 pvc chest waders fit my purpose. Primarily trout fishing in rivers surrounded by dicey terrain. Flexible over warm and cold seasons, cos i go through a lot of sharp terrain (blackberries, logs, general bush bashing) punctures are easily fixed with a bike tube kit - neoprene a bit harder to fix and a sweatbox in summer. Not as great as neoprene in the boot option perspective - but i compensate thay with shoe inserts for added comfort and a collapsible walking stick for stability in footing.

GusG
Has liked: 41 times

Post by GusG » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:16 pm

I used a pair of PVC for years and they are sturdy, durable and dont miss a beat. Having said that i did upgrade to a pair of simms, and they are thin, light and more breathable. Also having the separate shoes with interchangeable soles is very comfy and convenient. I haven't used them a lot around barbed wire fences, blackberry bushes, etc so can't really speak for durability as much as the PVC ones.

A-a-ron
Has liked: 32 times

Post by A-a-ron » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:34 pm

Cheers for all the replies.

Would mostly be surf fishing with some rivers thrown in whenever I go out camping ect. Guessing it’s best to go with a decent pair that’s breathable and durable, save myself in the long run with any issues cheaper versions can bring.

Thank you again.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:50 pm

If looking at pvc i dont think there are any production/quality issues with the cheaper ones, as theres not much that goes into the "build". They are all I've ever bought and only issue ive had is a shoulder strap stitching ripping out (and that was mostly self imposed). I havent had anything like boot blow outs or overly sensitive rips. Ive mostly treated them and worn them pretty roughly and they've held up really well.

The breathable ones i would be considering quality more since there is more going on in the construction - cant speak much on what to look for as ive never owned and seldom got to wear them.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:22 pm

Most of the good breathable waders have no boots, you gotta buy wading boots too.
Rapala used to have an okay breathable wader for $170-$250.

You can get PVC wader as low as $45
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:38 pm

I've used Redington breathable waders for several years now & have just bought a pair of Compass breathable waders as a back up pair..
They've jumped up in price now & that's why I went for the Compass waders,, wading boots aren't all that cheap either, I use the Korkers greenback with inter changeable soles.. got them through Amazon USA. The reason I use the breathable waders is because they're nice and light which is great throughout the warmer months, even better when I walk a few kilometres to & from a river.. you get what you pay for when it come to waders..
I only get two & a half season out of my waders, that's due to the amount of times I go fishing & where I fish that shortens their life span. Also have two pairs of worn ones hanging ( & a couple of pairs of worn Korker boots) in the shed as emergency back ups or for anyone who visits from interstate and wants to hop in a river.. :-D

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

AE092
Has liked: 5 times

Post by AE092 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:30 pm

Recently bought the 'Prymal' PVC waders from BCF to replace the Anaconda PVC one's I had for a few years (5-6 years) and couldn't fault them. There is now a waist strap and the pocket at the front is Velcro seal which is a nice touch. Only ever used in saltwater for prawning or wading shallow beaches for Salmon and has been excellent value for money.

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”