Land Based Pier Fishing Cart Setup

Bugatti

Re: Land Based Pier Fishing Cart Setup

Post by Bugatti » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:34 pm

Yeah Andrews, mate and I use the Sistema Containers all the time for our fishing. And the great thing is they come in all shapes and sizes which is great to get that perfect fit

Sistema.JPG

Andrews, if I can suggest, a "clip on" table, bait board (or both, one for each side of your trolley. I have a fold out table on mine and it is a God send. Great for kick'n back, with that Cafe feel waiting for the rod to scream off :-D

I think you can make one (or two) without drilling fixing it to your cart. It just clips on. Big enough to be handy but small enough to tuck into your cart.

You could make two, one for both sides. One as a Cafe Table and another as a Bait Board

Fitting 6.JPG

These Pipe Clips, fixed to the underside of the table can clip onto the top rail.

Fitting 1.JPG

One of those Canopy Frame Fittings, fitted into the table strut/support (and the end cut off) would then be able to have another Pipe Clip screwed into the end of it, so then it can Clip into the bottom tubing of your Cart.

Fitting 5.JPG

Another one of those Canopy frame Fittings at the other end of the Table Strut/Support, to fit into one of these fittings that is fitted to the underside of the other end of the table.

Fitting 2.JPG

Those fittings normally come with just a screw bolt. But swap it over with a thumb Screw for easy fitting on the Jetty.

Fitting 3.JPG

Just an idea, I find it easy as you don't have to work off the Jetty floor or struggle to find a place for your coffee or bits & pieces.

Cheers, Bugatti

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:44 pm

hornet wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:08 am

Just finished this cart last week to add to my existing folding cart which only had 10 rod holders.

And Hornet, just in case you thought you miss out on a table , , , ,

, , , , think again :-D

trolley 1.JPG

trolley 2.JPG

Just make one out of PVC (as shown in the diagram) to fit into two rod holders (spaced apart for stability) AND the table Top in a bit so you can still use the rod holders in-between.

Just frame up the bottom of the table with PVC T pieces joining both side/rails to brace up the PVC frame

Also for travelling on the jetty, just put the table inwards so you don't sideswipe someone , , , , unless it's a nice lady , , , , then say sorry, start a conversation and , , , , away you go , , , , Hot date with Hot Lady :-D

Cheers, Bugatti (Cupid's assistant)

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:00 pm

Hey Bugs I was going to do that but realized I pound squid with a mallet for whiting so the bait table / trolley would not handle it, I normally take a Teflon board and put that on solid ground so it takes a beating ! nice idea but unfortunately something will get damaged by all the pounding.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:49 pm

hornet wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:00 pm
Hey Bugs I was going to do that but realized I pound squid with a mallet for whiting so the bait table / trolley would not handle it, I normally take a Teflon board and put that on solid ground so it takes a beating ! nice idea but unfortunately something will get damaged by all the pounding.

Yes, I agree, you do need something solid to take the pounding , unfortunately I can see now that with your vigour, it would definitely damage the pipework.

trolley 1.JPG

Cheers, Bugs :-D

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:06 am

I really like the clip-on table suggestion Bugatti, it would be convenient to have surface. The one downside to my local pier is that it is very exposed to a southerly wind. With no land between us and Portsea/ the Heads, the wind travels which unfortunately means everything almost must be weighted down. I think rather than having one on the side, perhaps having one that sits on top of the basket with an internal lip and then is clipped down with paracord carabiners would work best. Here is a quick mockup.
board.jpg
I have always used the wood beams of the pier as a surface for thawing, tenderizing and cutting. Maybe the pier spice is the secret that the fish love. I normally use the squid flaps, tentacles and offcuts as bait.

What parts of the squid does everyone use for bait?

Mong
Has liked: 8 times

Post by Mong » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:07 pm

Hi mate, any chance that you could share where you got your net? Looks sturdy and long enough for the tall piers.

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:23 am

Mong wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:07 pm
Hi mate, any chance that you could share where you got your net? Looks sturdy and long enough for the tall piers.
Hey Mong,
Sure can, the net pictured is the Crocox Fishing Net Telescopic Landing Mesh in 4M, this net is a cheaper Chinese made alternative to the very expensive Japanese ones. Crocox is a Chinese 'brand' which puts its name on any Chinese made unbranded fishing product.

The exact same net is available pretty cheap on Wish, Dhgate and AliExpress in 2.1M, 3M and 4M versions.
If you search 'carbon telescopic fishing net' plenty of versions of the net appear and cost between $20 AUD for 2.1M to ~$35 AUD for the 4M telescopic pole. Ebay also has the same versions of the but are much more expensive ~$70+ AUD.

My experience with the net has been very positive, so much so that I purchased another telescopic pole net as a spare three months ago and have yet to need it. I have used this net fishing upwards of three days a week for 8 months in salt water with minimal wear and tear. The net pole is super light, and very easy to use solo when landing calamari and smaller fish species. I would highly recommend this telescopic pole and have had locals purchase the same product because of how handy it is.

I did upgrade my net making it stronger than the original. The original net is very strong, but between the salt water weakening the epoxy and the physical wear and tear of lifting heavy squid the end did come off. This is my only complaint, the end nut connecting the net head to the telescopic pole is only epoxied and over time has the protentional to break off. I cut the head off a steel bolt and put it inside the telescopic end and added two steel bolts as pins. Has made it much stronger as I did again epoxy it which has now been eaten away by the salt. I also purchased a different net head which is deeper and made of a fishing line material which is a lot easier to clean once a squid inks in it.
Screenshot_2.jpg
Screenshot_3.jpg
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Mong
Has liked: 8 times

Post by Mong » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:18 pm

Thanks Andrew for your very detailed explanation, I like your idea to secure the head with some additional reinforcement. Some feedback on Alibaba suggests the obvious - that the 8mm threaded screw is a point of weakness, and that the net should only be used vertically instead of horizontally so that the screw doesn't shear. Any thoughts on this? Down to Bunnings for a better screw is an easy fix.

I'm going to pick up one of the Crocox telescopic poles, I'm seeing them under the Josby brand on Alibaba. The net head you show above looks alright for about five bucks. Might just use some marine epoxy from the shed as screw lock and call it a day for $40 odd.

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”