Mini DIY Burley Cage Land Based

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Mini DIY Burley Cage Land Based

Post by Andrews » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:57 pm

Inspired by all the great DIY builds and repairs recently on the forum I put my hands at building a land-based mini burley cage.
I wanted to build my ideal mini burley cage with the focus on functionality. It should be light weight, not overly big, unweighted, corrosion resistant and has plenty of open surface to disperse the burley on the bottom of sandy holes between the weed.

Pre-made stainless steel burley cages are often a larger 15cmx25cm and weighted which isn’t functional for a cage I’ve got to throw 2-5m from the pier to reach the sandy holes. Plastic is lighter and doesn’t last as long.

This light weight 10CM firm aluminum mesh cube is made of repurposed gutter guard material folded into equal sides and held together with cable ties. An aluminum bar is aluminum riveted to the mesh with a large hole as an attachment point for the carabiner/ rope line. The top opening is hinged with two cable ties and one fishing bead acting as a spacer. The locking mechanism is a simple paperclip. Testing the sinking the cage at the beach across the road the cage sinks bar side down and sits nicely against sandy bottom. The current passes easily through the open mesh and will producing a fine burley trait. The only upgrade I can think of is replacing the cable ties with aluminum wire in the future.
Screenshot_2.jpg
This build was an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon I look forward to testing the cage out from the pier when we’re allowed to fish.

Bugatti

Re: Mini DIY Burley Cage Land Based

Post by Bugatti » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:17 pm

Wow, looks awesome Andrews :gj:

Great sense of satisfaction making your own too, and very smart using pressed aluminium mesh :ch:

Cheers, Bugatti

dmck
Has liked: 35 times

Post by dmck » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:35 pm

Great idea Andrews,

Mate and I have just started using a larger version of this from our boats, made with GI square mesh (about 10mm) . We made them because our home made ( 2l ice cream container) burley blocks wouldnt fit in to commercial burley cages.

Our GI ones will rust.. but given our rate of losing them I reckon they will be replaced before they fail.

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:26 pm

Top Job Bro

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:59 pm

Thanks Bug, you’re right about there being satisfaction for making your own this one is exactly what I was looking for in a cage.

Making your own to fit an ice-cream tub sized burley block is a pretty smart way of doing one, the stuff that’s inside is the most important bit.

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”