Mong
Has liked: 8 times

Re: Time for new pliers

Post by Mong » Mon May 18, 2020 12:37 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:28 am
I havent used either of them, but look decent to me

https://www.motackle.com.au/fishing/too ... plier.html
I've used the Mustad braid / split ring pliers for a while and they're good, holding up well without any real rust or degradation after a couple years and I don't treat 'em that nice. The small size is really good relative to their utility. One thing negative is that the clip that holds them closed is only held in by a pin, and will come off at some point.

I regret my choice of pliers, a big Rapala 8" heavy-duty split ring monstrosity. Handles are too big, doesn't fit in the end pocket of my bag. It's a bull in a China shop and doubles up on most stuff that the Mustad does as well. I should have bought something like these instead (same as what ducky posted basically): https://www.motackle.com.au/fishing/too ... rceps.html

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Mon May 18, 2020 2:22 pm

Mine are the same as your ones Cobby, but a different brand. I dont remember the brand at the moment but i got them from the bargain bin at Complete Angler in the city.

They do the job for me, but i do also quite often use braid scissors.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Mon May 18, 2020 6:54 pm

Sounds like these might might more suited, they're stainless and retail $10. I think any pliers + cutting edge will struggle with a clean braid cut compared to braid scissors since they're thicker and stainless isn't known for it's edge retention. Could always try sharpening them. I've used them for months without any spot rusting and they've held up against plenty of banjos.
422710.jpg
I also use and vouch for those haemostatic forceps, they're stainless, cheap and are great needle nose pliers. Advantage is that they're long and thin, but can be hard to gain leverage. More fine focus than pulling potential.

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Post by ChrisTaylor » Mon May 18, 2020 7:20 pm

I bought some Penn pliers for ~$15. They have a pouch, they cut braid, they're ideal for removing small jigheads from small fish. They also seem resistant to carelessness and stupidity, which wasn't a feature listed on the packaging but totally should have been.

I don't generally use the scissors, as I have a dedicated pair of scissors ... but it's nice to have that feature if I'm replacing a jighead (i.e. not rummaging in my backpack, just lazily taking the pliers out of their pouch).

westvic
Has liked: 155 times

Post by westvic » Mon May 18, 2020 7:44 pm

This is what I went for https://leatherman.com.au/products/free-p4

Not cheap
Bit bulky
BUT knife, pliers, wire cutters,scissors and a few other bits and pieces all in a pouch on the belt. I can vouch that all tools can be access one handed some need a bit of practice) and all lock into place when deployed. Also has bottle opener :ch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txxWU0et7J4

I found the simplicity of pretty much everything I needed right on my hip with no need to bend down very useful.

not good for hooks that have been swallowed deep.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon May 18, 2020 9:50 pm

I'll have to keep an eye out on my adventures this week. The forceps are an intriguing one

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”