Degree in fishing

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Degree in fishing

Post by happyfriggincamper » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:50 pm

Sort of, not really - what sort of demographics pay for these things with the internet being literally a sea of information?

https://www.utas.edu.au/sciences-engine ... _utas#fees

Endorsement from PW, a favorite of a few here.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Degree in fishing

Post by Nude up » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:15 pm

I think I will apply

potatoeater
Has liked: 9 times

Post by potatoeater » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:51 am

FYI. That course is currently free. It's part of a diploma in Sustainable Living. Apparently UTas is having a lot of financial difficulties so for this course, any Australian who applies gets a free waiver which covers the full cost of the program.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:29 am

It's not a degree, it's a unit in two year diploma called 'Sustainable living'. In general you will do 4 units per semester, so 16 in total.

It looks interesting, I'd love to have a look at the course content and see how what they're teaching lines up with the general consensus of the best way to do things.

In this unit you will not only learn about the science behind fishing techniques and how these interact with the biology and behaviour of a species, but also how recreational fisheries are sustainably managed and how you can be a responsible fisher.

Learning from experts from the Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies, you will explore habits of different species based on their environment, learn about the variety of fishing gear and methods, and understand the science of fishing sustainably.

Important and interesting questions for fishers include: How are species correctly identified? What do they eat? How does their preferred habitats and behaviour influence fishing techniques?

After completing Science of Fishing you will change the way you fish, with both an improved fishing experience and a greater understanding of how to fish safely and responsibly for the future.

What you will learn
On successful completion of this unit you will:

Be able to identify a range of fish species commonly caught in Australian recreational fisheries
Describe the characteristics (morphology, physiology and internal anatomy) of a fish species that influence their habitat preferences and behaviour within the marine environment
Describe the fishing gear and methods used for catching fish in a recreational fishery
Outline the strategies for managing a recreational fishery contributing to sustainability
Produce a plan for a safe, responsible and successful recreational fishing trip in Australia
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:59 am

potatoeater wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:51 am
FYI. That course is currently free. It's part of a diploma in Sustainable Living. Apparently UTas is having a lot of financial difficulties so for this course, any Australian who applies gets a free waiver which covers the full cost of the program.
Ah that's some good context I obviously missed - cheers for flagging. Good education support initiative by state govt to support the currently unsupported (ie very limited vs experienced impacts) higher education sector.

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:29 am

Sounds very interesting!
The Science of Fishing unit fee is waived, but to access that you are required to enroll in the Diploma of Sustainable Living which does cost.

I'd imagine the content would be similar to Marine Biology/Marine Science degrees offered by Australian Uni's, maybe with a greater focus on sustainability and the fishing industry.

I have attached a free download link to the two main recommended textbooks for Marine Science/Biology in Australia, recommended by Deakin University, Melbourne University, Uni of Tasmania, Darwin Uni, Sydney Uni and others.

Marine Biology: Function, Biodiversity, Ecology By Jeffrey S. Levinton

Marine Microbiology: Ecology and Applications by Munn

Both are science heavy, if anyone knows are more regional Victoria/Australia based textbooks, let me know.
Last edited by Andrews on Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

potatoeater
Has liked: 9 times

Post by potatoeater » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:12 pm

Andrews wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:29 am
Sounds very interesting!
The Science of Fishing unit fee is waived, but to access that you are required to enroll in the Diploma of Sustainable Living which does cost.

I'd imagine the content would be similar to Marine Biology/Marine Science degrees offered by Australian Uni's, maybe with a greater focus on sustainability and the fishing industry.
I signed up for the course when the details first came out during lockdown. I asked the one of coordinator people about the 2 fishing units and she told me it's an intro level course that provides an overview on the science behind fishing and how it relates to policy (commercial fish stock management etc). The unit details has a short summary as well:
https://www.utas.edu.au/courses/cse/uni ... -fishing-1

If you look under course details, it states: "For eligible domestic students, all units studied as part of the Diploma of Sustainable Living that commence after 16 June 2020 and have a census date prior to 31 December 2021 will be receive a 100% HECS (Higher Education Contribution Scheme) scholarship. This means the entire cost of the Diploma can be covered by a scholarship."
https://www.utas.edu.au/courses/univers ... quirements

It was confusing at first so I asked a admin person at Utas and they told me when an Australian studies on a government supported course, the universities gets fees paid in 2 parts. The first is a direct contribution by the government for each student. The other is the student fees portion - which can then be deferred by the student until you make >45k pa. So what Utas has done, is to open this course up to be online only, is that every student who signs up, Utas get's paid directly from the government. For the student contribution, they're automatically giving a "scholarship" that covers the student portion. So the net cost for an Australian to take this course is 0. The federal government however, contributes to the place which is how Utas makes money. Hence the almost non-existent entry requirements. They seem to be banking on a lot of people seeing the course is free and signing up.

I've taken a bunch of Coursera courses before and this is basically the same thing except you get a certificate at the end. I don't think the actual diploma is useful in any way, but it's a good excuse to make myself learn some new things.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 11.46.58 AM.png

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:35 pm

It is really nice to see that UTas is able to run this diploma at no cost to the students.

I think any degree is only worth as much as you make it and perhaps this diploma, despite covering a broad range of subjects could be a great opportunity to build a career, or support already obtained qualifications.

I might look into this more, I could see a better understanding of fishing sustainability and policy supporting my pre-existing bachelors and experience in sequencing the genome of fish species.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:46 pm

When’s O week
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”