Fish Cooler bags?

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Fish Cooler bags?

Post by Trumpeter » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:35 pm

Anyone have one and what do you think of it?

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Re: Fish Cooler bags?

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:45 pm

I have a Chiller fish bag, i forget what size it is.

For me it is a great bit of kit because i dont catch a lot of large fish as i dont really target them for most of the year. But i do occasionally catch the odd Gummy as bycatch. Having the chiller bag on hand lets me use a much smaller esky for my usual catch (squid, pinkes, KGW etc) but i can still keep a Gummy fresh in the bag if i do happen to catch one.

The rest of the time the bag just gets stuffed up the front of a side pocket and i forget that i even have one.

On a smaller boat, things like this are great. Anything that helps me keep the deck clear is an advantage.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:44 pm

Im thinking about one myself. But even the medium is too big for me, I don't catch fish that big..
Would be ideal as steveo has said for smaller boats to tidy up the deck area.

For those who have one, how does it go with squid ink, my esky doesn't get clean with a hose down, I need to physically wipe it clean off the ink marks.

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:56 pm

I use one of these in this size on my kayak
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/drystor ... -mini/amp/
Been using it for a couple of years now, I wash it after every use and it is still like brand new. The coating And zipper are strong, and the insulation keeps it cool. I have put many flathead in it, and it is yet to be punctured by their spikes. Works very well, I just put two frozen 600ml water bottles in it, stays cold all day. I haven’t bought ice for fishing since I purchased the bag. From memory they’re around $100, and it is worth every cent

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:07 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:44 pm
Im thinking about one myself. But even the medium is too big for me, I don't catch fish that big..

For those who have one, how does it go with squid ink, my esky doesn't get clean with a hose down, I need to physically wipe it clean off the ink marks.

The bag I use cleans squid ink off fairly well, so long as you don’t let the ink dry on or in the bag. I hose and wipe the inside out with whatever rag I take fishing with me when I get back from each trip. My wife is allergic to fish but can eat calamari, so I use a small hard plastic lunchbox for squid, and the chilla for fish.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/12-can ... lsrc=aw.ds

This is basically the same as the lunchbox I use, with a hard plastic inside, it keeps the liquid in the box, and is really easy to wipe clean. The material on the outside prevents the plastic from heating up in the sun (Although it can get a bit scungy). Just throw a frozen water bottle in and you’re good to go. Plus with a Velcro top it is super easy to open and drop squid in with one hand. Can’t go wrong for $30.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:38 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:56 pm
I use one of these in this size on my kayak
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/drystor ... -mini/amp/
Been using it for a couple of years now, I wash it after every use and it is still like brand new. The coating And zipper are strong, and the insulation keeps it cool. I have put many flathead in it, and it is yet to be punctured by their spikes. Works very well, I just put two frozen 600ml water bottles in it, stays cold all day. I haven’t bought ice for fishing since I purchased the bag. From memory they’re around $100, and it is worth every cent
I use one of these, it's pretty good in the yak because it lays fairly flat in the fish hatch. It keeps cold for much longer than my shitty Kmart esky
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:37 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:07 pm
purple5ive wrote:

The bag I use cleans squid ink off fairly well, so long as you don’t let the ink dry on or in the bag. I hose and wipe the inside out with whatever rag I take fishing with me when I get back from each trip. My wife is allergic to fish but can eat calamari, so I use a small hard plastic lunchbox for squid, and the chilla for fish.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/12-can ... lsrc=aw.ds

This is basically the same as the lunchbox I use, with a hard plastic inside, it keeps the liquid in the box, and is really easy to wipe clean. The material on the outside prevents the plastic from heating up in the sun (Although it can get a bit scungy). Just throw a frozen water bottle in and you’re good to go. Plus with a Velcro top it is super easy to open and drop squid in with one hand. Can’t go wrong for $30.
Thanks man, will have to try those ones when they have some more stock (currently the mini is out of stock)

i use a similar esky from Woolworths, its a zipperless one thats usually available at australia day time, and go on special after australia day or half the price. it been good to me so far, but am looking for a bit more storage friendlier bag that i can put inside one of the hatches in the boat and be done.

Edit here it is, and on special already

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/prod ... lsrc=aw.ds

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:54 pm

I use a chiller nag its great.
What i do is fill coles mineral water bottles up (5 star health rating) and freeze. Use that with one bag of ice make a slurry great for KGW and flatty

P5 theres a few squid in stains but thats only cosmetic.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:53 am

purple5ive wrote:
I dont put any squid in mine. It was too expensive for me to ruin, but as others have said i think it would be ok if you clean it out ASAP.

I use a small Willow esky just for squid. I think its about 20 litres. Its just about big enough even if we bag out and still fit a frozen water bottle to keep it cool. It fits in the under floor storage when not in use, and on the rear quarter seat when im using it. The bag fits under there too if i need to use it... this is one part of my setup that i am pretty happy with.
Last edited by SteveoTheTiger on Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:46 pm

That's a pretty good idea for the squid, I use a small a small 25L esky, the important part is that I use a Sistena 3L tupperware style container to keep the squid in. Two of those esky hard plastic freeze packs and I'm set, freeze packs + esky keeps things cold and the container stops the mess. Saves scrubbing a white esky.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”