4M Telescopic Fishing Net - 6+ Month Review + Modifications

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

4M Telescopic Fishing Net - 6+ Month Review + Modifications

Post by Andrews » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:47 am

Hey everyone,

I am giving a six month plus update on my experience using a 4M+ telescopic fishing net at a pier with a 3-3.5M drop to the waterline.

I first spoke to this net in Oct 2020 and since then, I have heavily abused this net fishing 2-3 times a week in salt water. I will speak to the product quality, modifications and what upgrades I am now working on to improve the product.

THE POLE

The net pole is branded CROCOX and is made of a carbon mesh material, this makes for a light weight, strong pole which allows for some flex.The length is 4M extended, 80CM together.
Six months of heavy and over 300 squid later, this product remains strong and has seen little to zero damage (excluding cosmetic). I would confidentily back this product for anyone looking to lift species such as calamari, or fish up to that 3kg mark. I have lifted a new chunky 2kg+ salmon in the net without hesitation. This pole costs $40 AUD.

Minor wear and tear -
  • Through use the telescopic mechanism of sliding in out becomes sticky, a quick blast of WD40 or alternative between the moving sections brings it back to new.
  • The aluminium threads are only epoxied on, as the salt water corrodes the glue they became loose. This was no issues for most of the threads, the final thread which attaches to the net actually detached and came off.

FIX
I added a stainless steel bolt within the first section with two dead bolts holding it in place, on through the 8mm aluminium thread and the second further down in the carbon pole. This strengthended the pole and added two physical points holding it in place. After six months, this work perfect with no issues. Attachment like so:
Screenshot_5.jpg
Screenshot_5.jpg (14.11 KiB) Viewed 1513 times

NET HEAD

I have been using a 40cm diameter, 50cm depth foldable stainless steel net head.
This net head has been good, the stainless steel ring section has only shown minor cosmetic damage with a only the rare fresh water rinses after sessions. The huge issue with this "foldable" style of net is the mechansim material. Enough though it is 'stainless steel' it is a cast alloy stainless steel which corrodes leaving a white/green discolouration. After mix months, the attachment between the bolt and the net actually snapped as it had become corroded away. This sucks of a long-term product.

FIX
I replaced the foldable net head with a non-folding full stainless steel welded net head with a 8mm thread, this full stainless material after three months has shown only minor cosmetic discolouring and is gaining my full confidence. A much better, longer term fix. This net head costs $30 AUD.
Screenshot_6.jpg

Welcome to advice on how I could better upgrade this product.

Here are a few glory shots of the net.
IMG_7295.JPEG
IMG_8658.JPEG
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”