Elephants

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Elephants

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:38 pm

Well todays plan was to take the tinnie and launch on the eastern side of WPB. Pouring rain put a bit of a dampner on this idea. Had planned to fish 2 hours either side of high tide.

Considered that the wind may not be in my favour, decided to take the tinnie and put in 2 surf rods just in case.

Arrived at the destination a tad late, and it was a little choppy, so decided to pan the tinnie idea and fish from the shore.

Casting using 30 lb line, limited the distance achievable. Used the paternoster setup and we managed a 2 small salmon.

Changed to the reels I use for squid and whiting with about 10 lb braid, changed the rig to a fixed sinker with leader off the sinker point.

Now I could achieve a bit better distance, in the end we wound up catching 3 elephants, and by this time the water level is dropping faster than a politicians promise.

The elephants were all caught on squid.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Elephants

Post by Brett » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:41 pm

Damn, wish I had of sms'd you earlier, kids and I been sitting at home bored shiteless all day, would have come for a drive and let them do a bit of fishing.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:55 pm

Might be heading back there tomorrow, high tide at 4.35

Brett

Post by Brett » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:49 am

see how I go, have a couple of houses to look at and want to get some bits n pieces to pre make some more rigs. sms me what time ya leaving, might just come for a drive and see if I can toss a sinker further than you :tongue:

Beno

Post by Beno » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:55 pm

How bigs your tinnie wooly? :)
My Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/BenosFishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; How to - Garfish/Float Rig
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/pages/BenosFis ... 213?ref=hl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:52 pm

Beno wrote:How bigs your tinnie wooly? :)

3.95 metres.

Beno

Post by Beno » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:41 pm

Is it a stacer? We have a 3.7 stacer, do you think it would be easy to get off the sand banks in westernport if you got stuck in a tinnie that size?
My Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/BenosFishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; How to - Garfish/Float Rig
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/pages/BenosFis ... 213?ref=hl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:20 am

Its a Quinnie, as to getting it off sand banks. Yes it would be easier than a bigger boat, but never had to do that YET.

Some years ago launched at Tooradin and noticed that some blokes deliberately put their boat on the mud and wait for the incoming tide and fish as the tide rises.

However light tinnies can have their problems especially when it gets a bit windy. I heard for instances where the wind will flip them over. So it pays to have weigth in the bow.

Went back yesterday, caught a few fish less, than someone else, who happened to help when I hooked a nice sized shark got it to the shore when the helper grabbed the leader and bingo the leader broke.

Mind you that praticular rod was not rigged to catch anything heavy. Isn't that the way.

Brett

Post by Brett » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:25 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:Went back yesterday, caught a few fish less, than someone else, who happened to help when I hooked a nice sized shark got it to the shore when the helper grabbed the leader and bingo the leader broke.

Mind you that praticular rod was not rigged to catch anything heavy. Isn't that the way.

Well I did feel bad, until you told me it had an 8lb leader after the shock leader smh 30lb minimum over there lol

It was a nice size shark though, minimum 10kg possibly pushing 15kg

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:43 am

Brett wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:Went back yesterday, caught a few fish less, than someone else, who happened to help when I hooked a nice sized shark got it to the shore when the helper grabbed the leader and bingo the leader broke.

Well I did feel bad, until you told me it had an 8lb leader after the shock leader smh 30lb minimum over there lol

It was a nice size shark though, minimum 10kg possibly pushing 15kg
Now you say it was 15!

Didnt really expect to catch a shark, considering all the times I have been chasing catching one and being fishless.

Oh well it happens.

It did put a good fight and I was surprised that I managed to get as close as I did.

I think I might let you borrow my waders next time. :lolf: :grin:

Return to “Shark Fishing”