Bleeding gummy's

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Bleeding gummy's

Post by laneends » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:17 pm

As far as I'm aware you can't cut the tails and fins off until landed.

I tend to just cut head off and gut. Takes up less room in cooler and less waste to get rid of later

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:39 pm

laneends wrote:As far as I'm aware you can't cut the tails and fins off until landed.

I tend to just cut head off and gut. Takes up less room in cooler and less waste to get rid of later
Keith gummies and schoolies can have the tail and head removed ( you must leave the last gill slot ) - that is the reason that the measurement is from the last gill slit to the tail -- removing the tail and head still leaves the carcass at full length so fisheries can measure the fish if they need to do so

-- i blead the fish by cutting there throat and gut on the water also
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:17 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
laneends wrote:As far as I'm aware you can't cut the tails and fins off until landed.

Keith gummies and schoolies can have the tail and head removed ( you must leave the last gill slot ) - that is the reason that the measurement is from the last gill slit to the tail -- removing the tail and head still leaves the carcass at full length so fisheries can measure the fish if they need to do so

-- i blead the fish by cutting there throat and gut on the water also
"Carcass (sharks including elephant fish): The body of a shark or elephant fish which is not cut or mutilated in any manner other than to remove the gut and head forward and clear of the rear-most gill slit." ........

I took that to mean fins and tail have to stay. But I agree with your point about it not being necessary for size, neither are the fins, so never really understood it.

Return to “Shark Fishing”