Ballooning for Sharks - Please enlighten me :-)

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
davek
Has liked: 268 times

Re: Ballooning for Sharks - Please enlighten me :-)

Post by davek » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:36 pm

Amanda, what about using something like I hooked at Coburg lake, ;) cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

SFP Chick

Post by SFP Chick » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:02 pm

Basti wrote:being fairly new to this fishing game, I've never ballooned, but if I was to attempt it, a biodegradable balloon would have to be a priority. There's enough rubbish in our bay without adding to it imo. I can see that not having a convenient place to purchase them would be the one of the main reasons that most others haven't expressed a strong preference. I.e. more people would use them if they could get them

Very good point,

Stay tuned :a_goodjob: :a_goodjob:

SFP Chick

Post by SFP Chick » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:03 pm

davek wrote:Amanda, what about using something like I hooked at Coburg lake, ;) cheers davo
Well, funny you say that you dirty old man !!

I can get balloons in that shape. Should I ????

:rofl: :rofl:

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:15 pm

:lol: :lol: I don't think the sharks would mind :thumbsup: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

rixter

Post by rixter » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:12 pm

Heaps of ways of doing it as mentioned. I just use a normal balloon, as I get it back each time anyway using my own method ( I covered that in another thread mentioned above ) .

If on a beach, the wind is going to make all the difference, and you will need the wind behind you, or cast into a rip to drag it out (wade out close to it then a very light cast close to it so not to release the balloon setup).

If on a pier, you can usually find an outgoing current near a pylon (watch the water around them) , drop the balloon down near the pylon with the outgoing water, this will drag it out regardless of wind direction / Providing it isn't blowing a gale ! .

Cheers , Rick.
Last edited by rixter on Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

SFP Chick

Post by SFP Chick » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:22 pm

Thanks rixter,

Do you use biodegradable balloons made of a natural product ?

Thanks Amanda

rixter

Post by rixter » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:33 pm

SFP Chick wrote:Thanks rixter,

Do you use biodegradable balloons made of a natural product ?

Thanks Amanda
No, just normal balloons, only because I get the balloons back each time these days.
If I was still using an older method where I lost the balloon each fish/cast/etc , then I would of considered using biodegradable balloons.
Shame they weren't available years back when I used to loose all my balloons.

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:36 pm

Amanda, I would be more worried about using the plastic clips because if the come off the line they look alot like bits of squid so if a fish were to swallow them then it probably cause more danger to the fish than the balloons themselves, just a thought, not trying to be negative
Cheers

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:08 pm

Just a thought, and I have never balloon fished, so I might be totally wrong, but if you put something like a downrigger clip on your line, then you would just need to put the tag of the balloon in the tension grip bit, and it would easily come out to a strike.

Again, I have never balloon fished so might be a pointless suggestion or not even work at all :P

rixter

Post by rixter » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:24 pm

Scraglor wrote:Just a thought, and I have never balloon fished, so I might be totally wrong, but if you put something like a downrigger clip on your line, then you would just need to put the tag of the balloon in the tension grip bit, and it would easily come out to a strike.

Again, I have never balloon fished so might be a pointless suggestion or not even work at all :P
Yes it does work ;), this is actually the newer way I have been doing it, with the keep you balloon rig included.

Blow up the balloon, tie in a knot. Tie a very short thick length of mono line to the balloon knot, tie on a swivel to the other end.
So now you have a balloon attached to a swivel with a very short leader, slide the swivel onto your main line, DO NOT tie it on.

Slide it up the main line a bit out of the way, now do the rest of your rig on the end of the main line as usual and attach a down rig clip.
Slide the swivel and balloon back down your main line and clip the tag of the balloon knot into the tension grip.

All done. When you strike, it will release the balloon, but the swivel and balloon will slide up the main line letting the bait fall to the bottom.
On retrieving your line/fish , you will still have the balloon ready to use again.

Probably the most quick effective method I've used yet, and no need for rubber bands or cotton etc.

Cheers , Rick.
Last edited by rixter on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Here Fishy Fishy Image

Return to “Shark Fishing”