Fishing westernports top end HELP!

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
aussie_fisho

Fishing westernports top end HELP!

Post by aussie_fisho » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:02 am

Thinking of taking the boat out on Friday to fish the top end of the bay for gummies and whiting, I'm not to familiar with that area as I have really only fished off stony point and flinders. Any advice on where to launch( warneet or tooradin), best conditions for the area, and some info on fishing the horseshoe, boultons or bouchier channels. And any other info would be appreciated. Thx aussie
Here fishy fishy.......

Longshot

Re: Fishing westernports top end HELP!

Post by Longshot » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:36 am

First thing is dont launch from Warneet. The new ramp is a nightmare and tide specific.
Tooradin has been upgraded recently and is a good ramp, I think its about $10 to launch.
Its probably easier to fish the run in tide up to the high, as the whole area drains at low tide.
Its not really that different to the rest of Western Port, Gummies hang out in the channels, Whiting on the sand, Flatties everywhere else :) Find a place where your on a drop off, big baits in the channel, smaller up on the flats and you can cover your bases :D

slinga

Post by slinga » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:56 pm

Launch at Hastings is also an option. Especially if you wanna visit the baitgrounds.
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:12 pm

Longshot wrote:First thing is dont launch from Warneet. The new ramp is a nightmare and tide specific.
Its always been tide specific, which just means some planning or preparedness to stay out over the low. Got used to that up north with up to a 7 metre tide variation! But what makes the new ramp nightmarish? I haven't launched there for a couple of years, but was contemplating launching from there in the next couple of days....

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:21 pm

Distance from Warneet to Joes Island is much shorter than following the Tooradin channel.

The Tooridan channel I think from memory is about 7-9nm long. I followed it one day.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:33 pm

slinga wrote:Launch at Hastings is also an option. Especially if you wanna visit the baitgrounds.
Hey mate, keep seeing the "bait grounds" mentioned, and have never had any love on bait collecting myself. Where abouts are these? Are they ok day and night, or day only? Are sabiki rigs ok here? or baited hooks better? Sorry about the 20 questions, but I almost enjoy catching fish like mullet and yakkas as much as the target fish themselves. I would also love to go out with fresh bait, as it always seems to produce so much better.

aussie_fisho

Post by aussie_fisho » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:47 pm

Does anyone know what the best wind direction is to fish the top of French Island.

Scraglor the bait grounds are between Hastings and stony point, the big pier( sorry not to sure what it's used for or called) simply anchor 100m away from pier and berley, sabiki rigs work best for Yakkas, and a small bait further out behind boat for big slimeys or trevally, also have caught squid and snapper there.
Here fishy fishy.......

slinga

Post by slinga » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:36 pm

^^What he said.

Daytime only though. Burley is a must being replaced every 15min with Tuna oil.

It's called BP/Wooley's jetty.

Some awesome squid grounds along Hastings too.
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:48 pm

Queasy wrote:
Longshot wrote:First thing is dont launch from Warneet. The new ramp is a nightmare and tide specific.
Its always been tide specific, which just means some planning or preparedness to stay out over the low. Got used to that up north with up to a 7 metre tide variation! But what makes the new ramp nightmarish? I haven't launched there for a couple of years, but was contemplating launching from there in the next couple of days....
Just launch on the right side (when looking towards the ramps) and you'll be fine.
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:01 pm

raco09 wrote: Just launch on the right side (when looking towards the ramps) and you'll be fine.
Will do, cheers.

Return to “Shark Fishing”