Brighton flounder!

Brighton Pier, Elwood, Sandringham and surrounds
Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Brighton flounder!

Post by Irishfisherman » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:34 pm

Finally got back out fishing for the first time since January. A mate and I went for a spearing session in Brighton for the first time ever the other night, we managed 4 flounder a squid and a few gars. Saw some monster fatties that got spooked, heaps of gars around too but I couldn't be bothered spearing them. Super stoked with the results. Always nice to have success in a new place, and its even better in the company of a good mate too.
Attachments
1F1A52A9-F220-4311-9F82-45D889B579D5.jpeg

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Re: Brighton flounder!

Post by Robbie1950 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:14 am

Good effort mate. I've been spending quiet a bit of time floundering the last couple of years and have had some great results. Normally i carry a small net for the gars to just scoop them up.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:08 am

That’s a good session mate!
The flounders look good size. I used to do a lot of spearing like that and would take a light net to scoop the Gars in 😃
Cheers 👍🏻

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:45 am

I've never done spearing nor caught a flounder.
Sounds like fun.
How deep do you generally wade and spear?
Nice catches btw :tu:
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Irishfisherman

Post by Irishfisherman » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:13 pm

Sebb wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:45 am
Sounds like fun.
You can either use an underwater lamp or a headtorch, but its simply a matter of slowly walking around anywhere from knee to waste deep until you find something to spear. You have to be very vigilant and inspect the water carefully because flathead and flounder can be tricky to spot. Dont rush a shot once you've found fish, take your time, line the spear up, and then jab it. I like spearing on a low tide but I've had success in almost any conditions.
Hope this helps!

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:12 pm

Irishfisherman wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:13 pm
Sebb wrote:
Sounds like fun.
You can either use an underwater lamp or a headtorch, but its simply a matter of slowly walking around anywhere from knee to waste deep until you find something to spear. You have to be very vigilant and inspect the water carefully because flathead and flounder can be tricky to spot. Dont rush a shot once you've found fish, take your time, line the spear up, and then jab it. I like spearing on a low tide but I've had success in almost any conditions.
Hope this helps!
Is now the best time of year to do it?
I'm assuming in the dark after sunset before sunrise.
Do you use the underwater light in the water like prawning? And during mid to new moon.

Campbell's cove is only 15 mins drive for me, I might try the when I go for the first time.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Irishfisherman

Post by Irishfisherman » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:03 pm

Sebb wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:12 pm
Irishfisherman wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:13 pm
Sebb wrote:
Sounds like fun.
Hope this helps!
Is now the best time of year to do it?
I'm assuming in the dark after sunset before sunrise.
Do you use the underwater light in the water like prawning? And during mid to new moon.

Campbell's cove is only 15 mins drive for me, I might try the when I go for the first time.
Ive had success at all times of the year, I think it is slightly better when the waters warmer though. Its the same process as prawning in terms of how the underwater light is used. I dont pay too much attention to the moon phases, I have a feeling the fish are more skittish on a full moon but its kind of unfounded. I've never tried cambels cove but Im sure it'd be worth a go mate, its great fun, probably my favourite way to get a feed.
Cheers.

Return to “Brighton to Sandringham”