Garfish

Black Rock, Beaumaris, Half Moon Bay, Mordialloc, Parkdale
Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Re: Garfish

Post by Andrews » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:33 pm

I target garfish land based and I like the idea behind these burley floats slowly dispersing your bread/oil mixture, but I think it loses out in practicality. Apart from the size, weight difference addressed above the burley trail begins at the float and disperses following the current. Those small particles of burley are what attracts them and you will find the garfish will sit in the burley trail happily without touching the bait. I either throw out handfuls or use a burley bucket/pot at the surface and cast into the burley trail above the weed. This works well for other species too, keeps the pests high to the surface and your whiting on the bottom feeding.

Maggots can be a pain to get in Geelong, Mario’s is hit or miss and the last few weeks most places have been out. Dough works well but does break up a little if they're off the bite.

St Leonards has been productive this-week with some fat garfish and whiting along with the usual squid. Saturday there were plenty, caught about 10 nice sized with plenty more visible sitting on the weed. Locals pulled in another 30 garfish, few whiting, trevally and squid. Next few days should be good fishing for them along with pinkies and whiting following Sundays N/NW winds and tomorrows E winds.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:16 pm

P1040209 (800x600).jpg
Fished Half moon bay for a couple of hour,s today nothing big but will get a nice snack

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:26 pm

Nice catch once again dazz! 👍🏻

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:02 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:26 pm
Nice catch once again dazz! 👍🏻
Cheer,s mate only small one,s around the pier,s at the moment,the boat guy,s are getting much bigger size out from frankston

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:46 am

dazz999 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:02 pm
Cheer,s mate only small one,s around the pier,s at the moment,the boat guy,s are getting much bigger size out from frankston
We had garfish taking our whiting baits over in the muddy pond near Coronet Bay. Trouble booking them up on no 6 circles my mate got one in at 46 cm It’s later in the season than normal for these bigger fish we normally find them around Xmas in that area
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Black Rock to Mordialloc”