Carpmageddon

Everything about bream
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Carpmageddon

Post by 4liters » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:58 pm

After the gym last week as I was pulling out of the driveway I saw a bloke haul a fish out of the lake across the road. I went over for a chat and while we were talking he pulled out another good sized carp. Being 5 min from home I thought it would be a good spot to try at some stage if I was bored or something.

Day 1

Last Thursday after work I hit up the spot to do a bit of fertilizer collecting. The bloke I saw the other day was there again with some mates and landed one while I was setting up. It was pretty small so they donated it to my garden.

Then I hooked up to a solid carpo

The next one was my first mirror carp

One of them turned my baitholder into a wide-gape

And the end result was a nice murderbox full of organic fertilizer and a lake with a slightly reduced carp population. the 5 big ones were mine, the little one was the donation. The camera doesn't do low light too well unfortunately...

You know how some days you win so much, you get to be so sick and tired of winning? This was one of those days - while digging a hole for the carp I found $2 buried in the dirt.

Day 2

We finish work early on Fridays so last week I took the opportunity to hit up the carp hole again. It didn't disappoint and I was onto the fish pretty quickly:

The end result was four big carp in the murderbox

I left them in the freezer over night and chucked a couple in the last remaining spot in the garden the next day. They've got a couple of jalapeno chilies planted on them, it might be a bit late in the season for those to produce any chilies but whatever. The rest stayed in the freezer for mum.

Day 3

I felt like a fish after work again, didn't take long to get the first one - less than half an hour including travel time and unpacking lol

First one ripped a big hole in my prawn net which was a bugger, it was a nice all-rounder for landing fish, dipping for gars and presumably prawning although I never tried that.

I thought the session was rooted after that but I remembered I had all the kayaking **** in the car so I grabbed the gaff and the short handled net. I didn't end up gaffing any but the net did the job on the next three

After that I started noticing some short runs that didn't hook up, thinking they might be your more pan sized fish I downsized the bait and started landing these guys

And another muderbox full of mud marlin. I don't have any more room in the veggie garden so they're hanging out in the bait freezer until I see my parents because mum loves a dirty old carp or 10 for fertilizer.

2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

GusG
Has liked: 41 times

Re: Carpmageddon

Post by GusG » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:30 am

You really brained them mate, well done.

How do you use them as fertiliser? Simply burry them in the garden? What happens if/when they get dug up? Stink or not?

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:19 am

Holy carp! Some big fat fish there.
Been a while since I target carp, you make me want to go carp fishing. Good fun and helping the water from the pest.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

4liters

Post by 4liters » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:28 am

GusG wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:30 am
You really brained them mate, well done.

How do you use them as fertiliser? Simply burry them in the garden? What happens if/when they get dug up? Stink or not?
Just bury them and plant something on top. By the time the plant has done its thing and you’ve harvested your crop the fish will have rotted down and all you’ll find are bits of bone and scale. Try it with fish frames and things too.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

AE092
Has liked: 5 times

Post by AE092 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:37 am

That is awesome!

I use fish frames for fertiliser and it works a treat, never have I yeilded so many lemons and vegetables before!

GusG
Has liked: 41 times

Post by GusG » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:22 am

ok cool. How far under the surface do you bury them?

4liters

Post by 4liters » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:07 am

15cm or more from the top of the fish to the soil surface, too shallow and the flies will find them. That means a fairly large hole if you catch some big fish.

Return to “Bream Fishing”