Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Port Melbourne Snapper

Post by mazman » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:42 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:52 am
Great vid Alex!
That bigger one you got that got you in the thigh, how big do you reckon that one was? Looked like a nice fish mate.
Cheers 👍🏻
Somewhere around the 60cm mark, didn't measure it but was similar size to the 62 on of the others got.
gregmaka wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:51 pm
Do do know or have you noticed Station pier being open to the public,as this time of the year Salmon fishing does ok.
There was people fishing on the little pier next to the one the spirit of Tasmania docks at but no one fishing off the pier itself. Pulled some good salmon there on the next trip, biggest was around the 60 mark as well
SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:20 pm
Havent had a chance to check out the video in full yet, ill try to finish it later.

Even though i often launch from Newport i have only tried to fish that spot once with a couple of mates, unfortunately on that trip one of may mates was new to fishing and doesnt know how to cast so it only took a few minutes to realise that he was not going to have much fun in that spot so we took off down to Willy and bagged out on squid (IIRC) which he loved and he got in some casting practice too.

I really want to try it again.. does it hold pinkies all year round normally?
Seems to hold fish pretty much the entire year but the size class fluctuates a bit and I haven't worked out the exact pattern yet for when the bigger fish are in, when the 40s are in and when it's just fish 30cm and under
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:12 pm

I was there this morning, didn't manage much other than finding a small school of bait sized salmon who hit plastics on the drop. Unfortunately couldn't find any pinkies but they probably weren't around because the tide was out, I kept sounding up massive schools of bait but no good fish around them.
Heaps of people around, was expecting way less because of the temperature, but as the morning got on a bunch of blokes in pool toy sized yaks flocked in with no safety gear which was pretty dissapointing to see.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:41 pm

croe04 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:12 pm
I was there this morning, didn't manage much other than finding a small school of bait sized salmon who hit plastics on the drop. Unfortunately couldn't find any pinkies but they probably weren't around because the tide was out, I kept sounding up massive schools of bait but no good fish around them.
Heaps of people around, was expecting way less because of the temperature, but as the morning got on a bunch of blokes in pool toy sized yaks flocked in with no safety gear which was pretty dissapointing to see.
It has been receiving a lot of pressure recently, usually you can still find them on the low when they're about. When they aren't feeding as much is when sounding around for a school and spending time presenting to that school is really useful. Even when they are shutdown if you sit off them and keep presenting a plastic to them eventually one will eat.

I work at Anaconda and honestly get sick of telling people that the ~3m fishing kayak isn't suited for use in the bays but it's one of those things that's hard to legislate against because you can't outright ban those sort of kayaks because they do have a purpose (I actually own one as well as my hobie) but there is masses of them being bought and used for something that they really aren't suited for and the education just isn't there
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Melbourne CBD & Docklands area”