Under the Westgate 28/12/20

Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
Leonard
Has liked: 53 times

Under the Westgate 28/12/20

Post by Leonard » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:44 am

Hi all,

Fished under the Westgate for the first time from about 5pm-10:30pm last night. Loved the spot and got a good variety of species including a couple of whiting, 2 pinkies, a port Jackson shark, and 2 mantis shrimp. All the fish were just under size and released. All caught on squid strips off a running sinker.

Had to wade in slightly to release a few fish as they kept coming back to shore, and will definitely be bringing gunboots for next time as I saw some needles in the sand.

Had some great chats with the other fisherman too and am wrapped to have found another Uber eats accessible spot :rf: .

I’m curious about the mantis shrimp. I once found one in the stomach of a snapper I caught and did try one as bait. The tail got a fair few nibbles. Has anyone else tried this with success? They’re amazing creatures in their own right and can actually see the broadest range of colours of any animal, right through the UV spectrum.

Pics to come when I have my laptop!

Cheers,
Leo

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Re: Under the Westgate 28/12/20

Post by Sebb » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:47 am

Had no idea under the west gate could be that productive in variety of species. Especially mantis shrimp.
I fished there few times and usually nothing but pinkies, flathead and bream.

Good stuff, well done.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:11 am

Nice mate. I have fished that area many times but never caught a mantis. Looking forward to seeing some pics.
Cheers 👍🏻

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:21 am

Great report Leo
Hopefully you'll get some keepers soon
Gra

Omer
Has liked: 33 times

Post by Omer » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:28 pm

Haven't been there for probably half a decade. Happy to hear you had a nice evening there
What is meant for you, will never miss you. That which misses you was never meant for you.

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:09 am

Bong, you got balls wading underneath the Westgate. I'm surprised one of the dead bodies didn't grab you by the ankle! :oo:

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:10 pm

Under Westgate Bridge - City Side, used to be a Hot Spot for Mulloway in the right conditions.

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:42 am

Mantis shrimp supposed to be a great gummy bait, correct?
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Meetuinzion
Has liked: 7 times

Post by Meetuinzion » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:09 am

bong wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:44 am
Hi all,

Fished under the Westgate for the first time from about 5pm-10:30pm last night. Loved the spot and got a good variety of species including a couple of whiting, 2 pinkies, a port Jackson shark, and 2 mantis shrimp. All the fish were just under size and released. All caught on squid strips off a running sinker.

Had to wade in slightly to release a few fish as they kept coming back to shore, and will definitely be bringing gunboots for next time as I saw some needles in the sand.

Had some great chats with the other fisherman too and am wrapped to have found another Uber eats accessible spot :rf: .

I’m curious about the mantis shrimp. I once found one in the stomach of a snapper I caught and did try one as bait. The tail got a fair few nibbles. Has anyone else tried this with success? They’re amazing creatures in their own right and can actually see the broadest range of colours of any animal, right through the UV spectrum.

Cheers,
Leo
Do you fish city or Williamstown side

Leonard
Has liked: 53 times

Post by Leonard » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:54 pm

Meetuinzion wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:09 am
bong wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:44 am
Hi all,

Cheers,
Leo
Do you fish city or Williamstown side
Hey,
I have been fishing the city-side but have decided to stop for a while because of the current the big ships make.Would like to try the stony creek side but have heard it is super snaggy.

Return to “Melbourne CBD & Docklands area”