Docklands 26/01/21

Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Docklands 26/01/21

Post by Charles7 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:58 pm

My mate and I were both fortunate enough to get the day off on Australia Day and so it was decided that we'd do things a little differently and catch public transport from our respective parts of Melbourne. After spending more than an hour on the tram watching the rain come and go I finally arrived at Southern Cross Station where we met up and headed across the tracks to the Docklands area. We got our first casts in at about 11:15am, eager to fish the high tide and see if there would be any bream silly enough to take the pieces of pilchard we lobbed around the pylons. While we could see countless bream swimming around and picking at the limpets encrusted on the pylons, I found myself catching pinkies, landing three that were 28cm, 29cm and 32cm in length. These were my first land-based pinkies ever and the last one caught was also my PB (my last Black Magic circle hook doing the damage before I lost it in a tug-of-war with a pylon).
PB pinkie.jpg
The bite went a bit quiet after that but I managed a small silver trevally that fought like buggery and a little bream a short while later, the smallest fish of the day and our original target species.
silvertrev.jpg

We switched to bread dipped in tuna oil once we ran out of pillies and while we got a few bites, the fishing slowed right down. We eventually packed up at 7:10pm as the sun came out and I made the long tram journey home. All fish were thrown back to fight another day.
boltebridge.jpg

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Re: Docklands 26/01/21

Post by Sebb » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:23 pm

Not a bad session. :tu:

My office used to be in docklands, fished there many times before and after work. Productive water.
I've seen and or caught 2-3kg snapper, mulloway big and small, kingfish, monster bream. All sorts of things too, like Coles shopping trolley, car wheel, etc.

Now my dining room is my office. Miss Docklands. Central pier was the best spot to fish. It's closed now.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

kingfisher

Post by kingfisher » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:21 am

Sebb wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:23 pm

My office used to be in docklands, fished there many times before and after work. Productive water.
I've seen and or caught 2-3kg snapper, mulloway big and small, kingfish, monster bream. All sorts of things too, like Coles shopping trolley, car wheel, etc.

Now my dining room is my office. Miss Docklands. Central pier was the best spot to fish. It's closed now.
Well Sebb... next time try kayak fishing in Docklands and it's equally productive and enjoying. :tu:

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:38 am

kingfisher wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:21 am
Sebb wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:23 pm

Well Sebb... next time try kayak fishing in Docklands and it's equally productive and enjoying. :tu:
Yeah been wanting to do that but still unable to figure out where to launch with easy unlimited parking (and free if possible).
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:50 am

Fun session mate!
Some nice pinkies there. Congrats on your PB 😊
Cheers 👍🏻

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:44 am

Sebb wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:38 am

Yeah been wanting to do that but still unable to figure out where to launch with easy unlimited parking (and free if possible).
There's a free carpark under the Bolte Bridge at the end of Docklands Drive. Easy kayak launch there too.

kingfisher

Post by kingfisher » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:18 am

greggo wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:44 am
Sebb wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:38 am

There's a free carpark under the Bolte Bridge at the end of Docklands Drive. Easy kayak launch there too.
The next option will be under Westgate Bridge pontoon with lots of parking.

Return to “Melbourne CBD & Docklands area”