A great isolation evening fishing

Williamstown, Altona, Point Cook, Werribee
Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: A great isolation evening fishing

Post by Sebb » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:52 am

purple5ive wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:45 am
Nicely done, those sized flathead are great sized ones.
Thanks.
Yup, fathead in the 40s centimetre is perfect eating, fight well too on the 2-4 kg rod and Caldia 2500 reel.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Aimless » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:30 am

Seb85 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:15 am
Aimless wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:16 am
How do you go about getting flathead on plastics? Roll across the bottom?
To me, the key with flathead fishing on plastic is to get the plastic on the bottom as long as possible, almost like bait fishing. The 'movement' is only to get a bit of their attention, whether be a twitch, slow roll or hops. Just make sure you wait a little longer in between the 'movement'. Make sure you got the right jighead too. My mate was using 1/32 , waaayy to light for 4m waterm changed to 1/8 and straight away he was onto some flatties.

Though I caught flathead with diff plastics in the past, lately I've been getting them on the gull nemesis pumpkin seeds 4 in. They seemed to love it last night. Few times I just dropped the plastic vertically and on the rod holder, the flathead took it like a bait.
Cheers for the advice Seb, very handy. I've heard plenty of people talk about catching them on plastics but never done so myself and never quite knew the technique. I have a few big ole jigheads I'll try out next time.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:00 pm

Aimless wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:30 am
Cheers for the advice Seb, very handy. I've heard plenty of people talk about catching them on plastics but never done so myself and never quite knew the technique. I have a few big ole jigheads I'll try out next time.
Nw
This time of year, i find it that they can be in real shallow water, depends how remote the place is. 1-5m is good, which makes pier and beach fishing a perfect fit.
Also, they have diff approach to the plastic than other fish like pinkie. Often they tap few times and stay still, fight when they off the bottom; while pinkies keep tapping and shaking all the way up. Catch one or two and you'll get the idea. Give it a try!
Last edited by Sebb on Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:54 pm

Think i will isolate myself this evening around wedge spit

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:17 pm

fishnut wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:54 pm
Think i will isolate myself this evening around wedge spit
My neighbour been fishing there, he said there's still whiting biting there. Good luck!

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:12 pm

You got a partial cure by having such a good session, hopefully builds up some antibodies in you to combat the mega knobby and surface cod virus you've been suffering from!

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:58 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:15 am
Thanks.
Fly fishing is definitely a fun thing to do. Do you fly fish for trout or other fresh/salty fish?
Kayaking and fly fishing can be done too, I might try. Lakes like Wendouree and Upper Colliban seem ideal.
There were times I was so into it and would travel for hours into lakes and rivers to catch the evening trout rise twice a week. Sold my push bike, used my 4 years worth of piggy bank, and bought Sage One 6wt fly rod (worth $800 at that time). LoL. Still have it.
Yeah I’ve been fishing for trout, enjoying wading the Clearwater streams. Travelled 5 hours for 5 hours fishing last weekend lol, found a new (to me) stretch of water and picked up a few trout. When the main rivers shut down this year I want to have a crack at wendouree trout on fly. I’ve picked up a few with lures, the trick is to not go fishing there when the rowing regata’s are on. Even when there are no races on some rowers out there get a bit pissy with kayak fishos. They’re probably just a bit frustrated because they haven’t figured out how we travel facing forward yet.
I’ll give you a heads up when I’m going to give it a go.

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:04 pm

good session seb.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:38 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:58 pm

Yeah I’ve been fishing for trout, enjoying wading the Clearwater streams. Travelled 5 hours for 5 hours fishing last weekend lol, found a new (to me) stretch of water and picked up a few trout. When the main rivers shut down this year I want to have a crack at wendouree trout on fly. I’ve picked up a few with lures, the trick is to not go fishing there when the rowing regata’s are on. Even when there are no races on some rowers out there get a bit pissy with kayak fishos. They’re probably just a bit frustrated because they haven’t figured out how we travel facing forward yet.
I’ll give you a heads up when I’m going to give it a go.
Wow, 5 hrs travel for 5 hrs fishing. Some dedication there :gj:
Ah yes, good point. Rowers at Wendouree. They really should install rear view mirror.
happyfriggincamper wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:12 pm
You got a partial cure by having such a good session, hopefully builds up some antibodies in you to combat the mega knobby and surface cod virus you've been suffering from!
It's been a while since I caught a gummy, I was pretty stoked.
But yeah, still dreaming a good cod on surface session. I'd rate more than two cods in a session as a good session. One day it will happen.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:51 pm

Nice work Seb. What area do you launch from? I just bought a yak and wouldn't mind giving it a go in the salt on a nice calm day.

Cheers, Anth

Return to “Williamstown to Werribee”