Willy to P2 22.10.2020

Williamstown, Altona, Point Cook, Werribee
SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Willy to P2 22.10.2020

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:05 pm

FINALLY!! After almost 18 months of not being able to get out on the water i was able to get out for a few hours this morning. It felt great to be back on the water and taking the boat for a run. We were not planning on fishing super hard, the aim of the day was more to take the boat for a much needed run on the water.

We launched at Newport boat ramp just after 6am with the intention of targeting squid and then snapper. We immediately head around to the rock wall near Willy beach. Which is a go to spot for us when chasing squid. Unfortunately there was some big swimming group swimming right in the spot i like to drift along so we were forced to stay out a little deeper. The water was very murky and we had zero success with the squid.

I had some bait so we decided to head back to all the other boats (there were maybe 20 off Gellibrand), i sounded some marks and we dropped anchor in about 15m of water.. a bit further out than all the other boats. No luck but my mate did catch an undersize Pinky. Which keeps my 100% success rate alive in my last 2 boats lol.

Started heading out to P2, i sounded a promising mark so we dropped on it. No snapper here, but i did catch 4 flathead. All were legal, but i only kept the first one which was about 34cm. The rest were under 30.

Finally we got out to P2 and anchored up on a mark, but we had no luck here either. And almost as we pulled up the two boats that were there left. One was a nice looking Formula 233 called Mayhem or something. Very nice.

We then just took the boat for a run across to St. Kilda and back up the Port Melbourne. Back across to Willy but there was still people swimming!!

And we called it a day.. hitting the ramp at about 12pm.

In the end it was a successful day in that i finally took the boat for a long run and we made it home safely with no mechanical issues or anything.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Re: Willy to P2 22.10.2020

Post by fishnut » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:37 pm

Was a great morning on the water
Tried for snapper near channel not far from Fawkner beacon a mark i get fish every year,dropped a good fish there then went to another area about a km south of the beacon and marked a couple of fish so dropped anchor and around 15mins after a rod buckles and i was on the first for the season measured 70cm but no more action except for a banjo
Around 9am shot down to raaf pier point cook and bagged 6 med squid back home 11.30am
Not bad one snapper for 2 trips

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:48 pm

Nice report!
I was hoping to head out tomorrow....anyone got any tips as to where the red carp are hiding?

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:09 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:48 pm
Nice report!
I was hoping to head out tomorrow....anyone got any tips as to where the red carp are hiding?
The bloke i was taking to at the ramp said he has been out two or three times this week and there seems to be more action down the East, so Ricketts etc

Also a quick side note: They are upgrading the fish cleaning station at Newport ramp (Warmies), so dont expect to be able to clean any fish you catch when you get back to the ramp. Im not sure how long this will be going on, it looks like they have put up a roof and maybe extended the actual working surface.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Marty889
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Marty889 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:37 am

Nice report, I was out yesterday as well and didn’t have any luck. However managed to land one on Tuesday around Willy.
Attachments
F847CD0B-EFB4-4C5E-931A-E561B1E4088F.jpeg

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:27 am

Fished Wednesday 12 to 4.
Had sound around p2 n fished low tide change ,only few flatties.
Went in shallow for nothing ,then went Altona reef .
Not much on sounder n was getting chopy so headed in.

Friday, fished near dump Joe marker, few arches on sounder n bait balls round.
Caught 10 slimy mackerel, but no Reds.

Could not get a squid at raaf or point cook..
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:31 am

I normally wouldn't fish on a public holiday because of all the madness at the boat ramp but decided to go anyway seeing we've been limited to get out on the water lately.

Like every night before I go fishing I was finding it hard to sleep from the excitement so I got up at 2am, had my coffee and made my way to Altona boat ramp by around 3. The ramp was literally half full already and there was practically a line to put the boat in. I headed to a trusty spot just east of Altona reef with the idea of fishing the shallows in the dark, I decided to move after an hour when some idiot probably looking at his sounder and not where he was going nearly T-boned me. Scared the shite out of me!

My first move was going to be around Willy footy ground but the place was like a car park so I decided to scrap that idea and move to a mark just off P1. Everyone talks about early season snapper in the shallows so I was hesitant fishing a little deeper in 11m, but the move paid off. After burlying hard just after sunrise one of my rods rigged with a whole silver buckled and I had the pleasure of landing the lovely red in the below photo. She went 72cm and I would say guestimating around 3.5-4kg. Not going to lie, I was super stoked to land an early season red. I also dropped one more very good size fish near P2 about an hour later. The old rookie mistake of striking the rod with the drag set lightly made me feel like slapping myself, it took me a good hour to get over :oo:

All in all a good morning out. I have read a bucket load of reports from Southern PPB but I can say the reds have hit the top end of town with the water temperature at 16.5c starting to fire them up, in a couple of weeks its going to be on like donkey kong!

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:34 am

Funny how all these big fish are in boats lol shows how much harder it is from land

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:37 am

e.welch wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:34 am
Funny how all these big fish are in boats lol shows how much harder it is from land
Naturally it's going to be easier on a boat but dont be disheartened, there is some thumping LB snapper being caught particularly down your way.

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:39 am

In Frankston people say they have caught snapper but none really big only just over 40cms at Frankston pier my fishing area is from blackrock to mt Martha if you have any secret spots or suggestions pm me

Return to “Williamstown to Werribee”