Werribee 4 Apr '21 on kayak

Williamstown, Altona, Point Cook, Werribee
Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Werribee 4 Apr '21 on kayak

Post by Sebb » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:17 pm

For many others, Easter is all about bunnies, eggs and chocolates. Pretty sure for us, fishos, is all about fish, fish and fish.

Weather: cloudy 20° dropped to 17°
Moon: 50% set 2pm
Sun: set 18:09
Wind: south 18-20kmh
Barometer: 1018 increased to 1020
Time fished: 4pm-7:15pm
Technique: nothing fancy, cast as close as possible to trees, stumps, edges. And retrieve with pauses.

Happyfriggincamper, me and another mate met at 3:30pm at the designated meeting and launching place. Took me a while to set my new sounder. We got on the water about 4pm'ish.

I got ecogear sx40 on, Happyfriggincamper got Berkley flicker shad and my mate got zman grub on. An hour in and nothing.

From what Seniorfisho said, it's been quiet and they jave slowed down. As per my knowledge, native fish go down deep and their metabolism slow down as we're coming to colder months. Based on recent Melton reservoir trip, I had success with Rapala Jack Deep, so I put that on (roach pattern). Slow rolling retrieve with pauses.

Didn't take long til I got this 32cm bass. Hit like a train, had fun on 1-3kg rod, 8lb line on 2000 reel.
IMG_20210405_150338.jpg
As I thought "the plan worked, they're down deep", my mate changed lure and hooked and landed an EP on Jackall Colt Minnow 65 (shallow dive).

Not long from that, Happyfriggincamper hooked a redfin on the Berkley flicker shad (redfin pattern).

The next hour was me and my mate hooking up EPs .
Happyfriggincamper changed to a plain silver Berkley flicker shad and he too hooked a fish.
export1617599299320.jpg
Sun was setting and we changed to surface lures. I started with siglett, my mate changed to bent minnow and Happyfriggincamper with micro pompadour. We landed some and missed a couple.

Not a bad 3 hour session for us.
IMG20210404173543_resize_83.jpg
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Re: Werribee 4 Apr '21 on kayak

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:58 pm

Definitely slow until there seemed to be a bite window that opened and then all fish came from that point on for a total of 9 fish between us + a few dropped - good session despite being slow

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:13 am

Great session Seb!
Some nice fish mate.
Well done 😊
Cheers 👍🏻

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:13 pm

You guys are gun fisho's, well done, the river has been disappointing this year but you have made it look easy. Great fun getting those fish off the snags

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:26 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:13 pm
You guys are gun fisho's, well done, the river has been disappointing this year but you have made it look easy. Great fun getting those fish off the snags
Thanks for the help with the info.
There was a lot of debris when we went, made it a little trickier to cast without catching leaves and sticks, but still fishable.

Saw two ladies when we launched, they were kayaking and picking up rubbish. Good on them. Motivated me, so I also picked couple water bottles when I saw them floating.

Good to know and see there are people who cares. There's still hope in humanity :)

Seniorfisho

Post by Seniorfisho » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:32 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:58 pm
Definitely slow until there seemed to be a bite window that opened and then all fish came from that point on for a total of 9 fish between us + a few dropped - good session despite being slow
It quite often fishes like that, a window of about an hour and then it goes slow again. The surface bite has been fairly good the last couple of weeks

Seniorfisho

Post by Seniorfisho » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:33 pm

Sebb wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:26 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:13 pm
Thanks for the help with the info.
There was a lot of debris when we went, made it a little trickier to cast without catching leaves and sticks, but still fishable.

Saw two ladies when we launched, they were kayaking and picking up rubbish. Good on them. Motivated me, so I also picked couple water bottles when I saw them floating.

Good to know and see there are people who cares. There's still hope in humanity :)
I had the same problem with all the leaves on the water. Did you go upstream or downstream?

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:04 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:33 pm

I had the same problem with all the leaves on the water. Did you go upstream or downstream?
Up.

The debris were patchy upstream. Maybe coz it was windy. Some areas had more than the others.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:16 pm

Nice work guys

Return to “Williamstown to Werribee”